Joining claims — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Joining claims

louise1985
louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
Can I ask abit of advice please I’m currently on universal credit and so is my partner we both have single claims as don’t live togeather I currently receive the standard allowance, lcwa and my pip 
my partner received his standard allowance carers for myself and carers threw Dwp my question is if we have to join claims would he lose his careers through universal credit the £160 ish I know the Dwp £67 gets took off the claim as an overlapping benefit and we lose a slight bit goi g from single to joint 

Thanks Louise 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

No, you won't lose the carers element providing your partner continues to care for you for at least 35 hours per week.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • louise1985
    Thankyou poppy I wasn’t sure if careers and lcwa where allowed on the same claim 
  • louise1985
    Sorry to be a pain when we do join our claims I know a code will be sent to my partner so we can join claims Etc but does it start a new claim as we are now doing togeather what happens to the advances we both took on our single claim and do previous statements disappear as I’ve read when people join claims there previous statements disappear 
  • poppy123456
    Thankyou poppy I wasn’t sure if careers and lcwa where allowed on the same claim 

Yes they can be when it's 2 different people claiming it. They can't be paid together to the same person, so if you were claiming the LCWRA then you can't claim the carers element at the same time but because it's your partner claiming the carers then that's fine.

It won't be a new claim, you will keep to the same assessment period but i'm not sure which assessment period it would be.

I do beleive that the statements will disappear so you should screenshot them before joining the claims. The advances will need to be repaid from your claim as a couple.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • louise1985
    Thankyou for all your help much appreciated 
  • louise1985
    Hi sorry to bother you again me and my partner have now joined claims the thing that confuses me is that the advances  we both took have come up on our joint claim I know they still need paying back but they will they take them at the same rate as I thought it would go to debt management to be paid at an affordable amount as if they will take all the advances back they will be taking a hefty amount back
    also I got told I could apply for a new claim advance with us joining claims to see us through untill we both got paid and it even says when I log into the journal u can take an advance up u till the 7th October but when I rang them they said there wasn’t one available but why put on payments there is one available 

thankyou 
  • poppy123456
    The maximum amount they can take to pay back the loans is 30% of your standard allowance, they can't take anymore than that. If you're in financial difficulty you can ask for the repayments to be delayed for a maximum of 3 months.

Whether you can apply for an advance will depend on your circumstances. Although you've had a change of circumstances this doesn't mean you're entitled to another advance payment.
  • louise1985
    Thankyou poppy it’s all so confusing to me just one more question 
    because I have joined claims they are now asking me to provide sick notes again even though I’ve been awarded limited capability for work and work related activity I’ve left a message on my journal asking what happens if I need another assessment one just worried as if I have to wait for an assessment again I’ll lose the £341 which I have already been receiving as this is quite a lot of money to lose 
  • poppy123456
    I've heard of this happening before. Although work capability assessments can be done anytime from 3 months, you already have LCWRA so the payments should continue.
  • louise1985
    Thankyou it’s just with asking me to provide sick notes again it’s got me worried and no one answers on my journal 
  • poppy123456
    Fit notes are not needed, if you send them it will prompt another work capability assessment. I would try ringing them, if they don't reply to the message in the next 24 hours or so.
  • poppy123456
    Did you take screenshots of your journal as previously advised? This is one reason i advised you to do this because things like this usually disappear when claiming as a couple from a single person claim.
  • louise1985
    Yes I’ve got screenshots Thankyou for all your help it really is appreciated as the whole confuses me I’ve also left a note on my journal making them aware I’m in receipt of pip aswell so I don’t get vendor capped 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Make sure your partner reports being your carer otherwise the carers element will not be added.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.