Panic attacks — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Panic attacks

Awesomelorenzo
Awesomelorenzo Community member Posts: 114 Connected
I've been having panic attacks over everything lately. I don't know how to stop them.
Just watching tennis and suddenly I'm panicing and I don't know why.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I think it is all about slowing down the breathing in the first instance by blowing in a bag or blowing something up

But it is important you get medical advice on how to treat them and also find out the cause, it could be linked to medication.

Haver you had any new meds recently ~
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo

Thanks for letting us know you are going through this.  I know myself how unpleasant panic attacks are and they really can feel like they appear out of nowhere.  Are you worried about anything particular at the moment?

This NHS Panic Disorder webpage gives good advice on how to deal with panic attacks when they come on:
    • do not fight it
    • stay where you are, if possible
    • breathe slowly and deeply
    • remind yourself that the attack will pass
    • focus on positive, peaceful and relaxing images
    • remember it's not life threatening
    If you aren't already getting support with your mental health, your GP is a great first port of call for getting help and exploring options available to you.

In the mean-time, we are here for you whenever you need someone to talk to.  How are you now?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo, you posted late last night, I just wanted to check in to see how you are doing this afternoon. :)
    Scope

• Awesomelorenzo
    @Chloe_Scope
    I'm okay today. I am worried about jobs and the such at the moment. I have been to the doctor, she knows about me and my many issues.
    It was random during the tennis last night though and I hate it when that happens.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo senior management (sometimes known as the Mrs) had some really bad panic attacks early in the menopause and the GP put her on some meds (sorry can't remember the name) but they really helped.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Awesomelorenzo
    @woodbine
    My doctor says I don't have the frequent enough to put me on meds.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo How's it going today?  I hope you are feeling a bit better and enjoying this lovely weather we are having.

@woodbine Your comment about senior management made me laugh! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope
    I'm okay today. I am worried about jobs and the such at the moment. I have been to the doctor, she knows about me and my many issues.
    It was random during the tennis last night though and I hate it when that happens.
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo, sorry you've been feeling worried. Was your doctor understanding?  

Scope

• Pandapaws
    Pandapaws Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Hi @awsomelorenzo
    im sorry you’ve been having panic attacks, I have also been having them over the past couple of months too. It’s severe anxiety, which felt like it’s come out of nowhere and has lead to palpitations and me ending up in A&E.  I’ve been out on some beta blockers which are helping, and I’ve also self referred for counselling and Cognitive behaviour therapy which starts in a few weeks time. 
    I’ve tried Qi Gong which I found on you tube and this has helped a lot. I found one in particular that’s really good as he deals with stress/anxiety and it’s helped me, so it might help you too. His name is Jeffrey Chand, free on you tube if I’m aloud to mention this.
    Also breathing exercises really help as well as avoiding sugar and alcohol. Trying to get outside and eating healthy m particularly fish, (salmon) 
    I hope you’re feeling ok today,
  • Chloe_Scope
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo just wanted to check in to see how you are doing today. :)
    Scope

• Coffeebreak
    Coffeebreak Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi @Awesomelorenzo, I get panic attacks as well, even though I am on meds. But I know that the danger is not real, so the breezing technique helps. How are you?

Brightness