Christmas 2020 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas 2020

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Following the PM announcement in house of commons looks like Christmas this year will be different for lots of us 

Looks like the rule of 6 will be in place for 6 months 

How will this affect your normal Chrustmas traditions? 

For me we normally spend Christmas at my mums with all family on xmas day and boxing day this is total of 11 people 

So who will miss out and not be able to go probably me as I rely on them to pick us up as we live 39 miles away bit others too will miss out 

Looks like it will be xmas dinner for 2 at home it's the kids I feel for 

What is your concerns 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Well I have a family of six altogether so in theory it will be fine but to be honest they probably won’t all visit as they used to. They’re older now and have other places to go on Christmas Day unfortunately.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    @leeCal At least it wont be very different for you then 
    My close family has grown over the years but we have always made a pact that we spend at least some of it all together no matter what else is on the agenda. Guess this will just be different this year, as I expect it will be for many others
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    We have been married for 39 years next month and last Christmas was the first we have spent just the 2 of us it was bliss we did exactly what we wanted when we wanted, ok in the evening we invited 2 friends round for drinks. So if this year is the same so be it, a little selfish I know but i'll be 62 in the new year and it's time we did what we want to do.
    I do feel sorry for those who depend on entertaining a large extended family to stop them half killing each other !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    @woodbine I totally get your point and really pleased for you wow congrats on the long marriage 
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    We were booked to go to a log cabin this year with my sister and brother in law 6 of us in total, don't know if thats still going ahead, i hope so, but if not it'll be us at home, i love christmas time, the decorations etc really perk me up
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    @Grinchy fingers crossed you'll be able to go.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    That sounds lovely @Grinchy fingers crossed for you 
  • willow12
    willow12 Community member Posts: 280 Pioneering
    For years it's only been me my partner and our kids but I like it that way Christmas in my eyes is for kids really 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Depending on what happens with the restrictions our family Christmas won't really happen this year. My parent and I live in wales and the rest of my family live in England and the rules are slightly different in both countries. If we go into complete lockdown again it looks like quite a lot of us will be spending Christmas on our own.
  • willow12
    @deb74 I can see us going back on full lockdown atm where I am we are in local lockdown 
  • janer1967
    I agree it's going to be very different this year 
  • willow12
    Yes it is I'm hermit anyway I suffer with social anxiety etc 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    It will be really odd not being able to have the traditional family gatherings in the run up to Christmas. However, Christmas day has always been at home, luckily there is only 5 of us!
    Scope

• willow12
    For years is been just me my partner and our children we like it like that less hassle lol but I feel sorry for people who are going to be alone at Christmas god love them 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    We tend to split ourselves between a day with my family and a day with the in-laws so thankfully won't be too affected as there is normally six maximum.   I do feel for those who have big get-togethers  :(
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • willow12
    I agree with you @Cher_Scope well theres 8 in my family me my partner and our 6 kids so we be banned from everywhere lol 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @willow12 :D You will have a cosy Christmas together no doubt!

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • willow12
    @Cher_Scope oh yes we will we always have a lovely Christmas every year got too make most of life 
  • janer1967
    It looks like it will just be me and my son while I appreciate we wont be on our own it will be hard as we are used to being with extended family and will just seem like a normal day just the two of us.

Will have to do some thinking of other ways to make it special

• willow12
    Aslong as you and your son are together on xmas day nothing else matters we change into clean pjs xmas day open presents watch movies me and my partner play with our kids all day long with there new presents I'm like a big kid myself lol

Brightness