Question PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question PIP

Options
samfits99
samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
Right a bit of a random one .... I can’t answer it so decided to post on here ..... my friend won his claim in tribunal and got over 8K I’m sure he said, the DWP didn’t even appeal it ..... and that shocks me as you think the DWP would challenge it or appeal it as they can. I hear so many things that 9/10 they don’t appeal it and send anyone, why is that? cause you think they would in every case .... I no it probably varies case to case , just wanted to query it lol 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They very rarely appeal a Tribunal decision because there's nothing to appeal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • samfits99
    Options
    @poppy123456 thanks for answering that question. my friend got enhanced care and lower rate mobility. they only gave him enhanced on care and nothing for mobility so he taken the gamble to go all whole way to fight for his rights / entitlement. when I seen the 8K I couldn’t believe it !!!! didn’t think they would pay that type of money out @poppy
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @samfits99 As Poppy said they really dont have anything to appeal about unless there is a error in law. Most of the time the DQP dont even turn up at tribunal to defend their case.

They have to pay any back pay owed and this isnt the largest amount they will have had to pay out
  • samfits99
    Options
    @janer1967 what does error in law mean? I was randomly reading forums and some guy on a different site got back pay of 11.5K!!!!!!! I couldn’t believe it. I am surprised they don’t turn up though, would you think they would 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're surprised that people receive large payments of backdated money, if they are owed it they're entitled to it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Im no expert on what an error in law would be ? I know that if after requesting a statement of reasons from the court either party can appeal if there has been an error in law

They mainly dont turn up as they send their case in writing to the court and the claimant . If they do send a representative they would only be repeating the DWP response. It would also be the resource they would need to end someone to every tribunal
  • samfits99
    Options
    @poppy123456 just didn’t think they would like to pay thousands of pounds out that’s all 
  • samfits99
    Options
    @Username_removed thanks for that. I have to say mike you seem so clued up. how do you no so much? have you been studying it for yours or have worked for the DWP. as you seem to no your ****. sorry shout the language! also why does most of the time DWP don’t bring anyone to the court ? I thought they would most of the time 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.