Which celebrities have you met? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Which celebrities have you met?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
Have we any members who have rubbed shoulders with the showbiz elite?  Who is the most famous person you have ever met?

As for me - Dickie Bird lives around here so I've met him a couple of times in the local town.  I also met Will Young after one of his concerts where I was completely star struck and giggled awkwardly.  

Can you top these big names? (Yes I have set the bar high :D ) Let us know.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Not really! I just met the chef Keith Floyd at a restaurant when I went to the toilet and came back to him sitting in my chair with a pint chatting to my family. He was at the restaurant as a guest chef but typically of him he was more interested in having a drink. :D
  • Cher_Alumni
     :D  We move in elite circles don't we @66Mustang

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    I’ve met and spoken to Terry Waite, an amazing gentleman.

also Selena Cadell of Doc Martin ( the chemist)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• seniorcitizen007
    seniorcitizen007 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I have met and was friendly with on a casual basis Jonathan Miller, David Astor, Billy Fury, and Spike Milligan. Although I've never met her I was instrumental in promoting the career of the Youtube singer Jasmine Thompson (by emailing celebrity singers and insisting that they listen to her ...she got to No 2 in the UK singles charts)
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Very interesting question, @Cher_Scope!
    I've enjoyed reading all of the above anecdotes. 
    Many years ago, I met Robert Powell (Jesus of Nazareth, The Detectives, The 39 steps etc). What a wonderful man! He was polite, kind and down to earth and I love his distinctive voice. I still have the photo of us taken on that day at Blenheim Palace. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Sat next to footballer Bryan Robson on a flight, met and spoke to Alvin Stardust at Butlins, Brian and Michael (matchstalk men singers ) were regulars in the pub I worked in at the time they were #1, met all the members of five penny piece group (they were on that's life)every week in the 70's, James Booth ('till death do us part) lived locally and saw and spoke to him many times, also Kathy Staff (summer wine), and Pat Pheonix (Corrie) spoke to many times, and  Nicky Butt at the time a Man Utd player spoke to many times. Also for a time went out with one of the daughters of Munich air disaster survivor Jackie Blanchflower.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    I have met Kim marash use to be Corrie I have also met Tracey Barlow from Corrie and dev Allenhan from Corrie 
    I met Judy Dindch and most important person I have met is Prince William in Coventry war momorial park I got a chance to speak to him 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I've met Ralph Little, Sheridan Smith and Katherine Drysden in a green room at the bbc after watching a recording of Two Pints...
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    William Hague used to come in our bookshop....the first time he came in with his future wife, Ffion was quite amusing, as she wanted to buy him a first edition 'Just William' book for his birthday, which he apparently collected. He was very amenable to subsequently sign any secondhand books we had on the William Wilberforce book he wrote, even tho I'd previously told him off for trying to write a cheque on top of a book.
    The author Peter Robinson used to also come in, & was also happy to sign any of his books that we had. Our bookshop was mentioned in one of his books, & how reasonably priced our true crime green penguin paperbacks were!
    Not exactly a claim to fame, but that's the best I can do. :)
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    My wife is American and while we were once visiting my brother in law and his wife over there they took us to a church meeting where we met and spoke to President Carter and his wife. That was a thrill and I suppose the most famous person I have met. 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    ...off course my real claim to fame was meeting the Fat Controller and Thomas The Tank Engine....
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I've had a drink with Alex Brooker!  :D 
    Scope

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    With my old job i met a few famous people, Sean connery, lovely down to earth, Sam neil (Jurassic park) again lovely, frank oz (miss piggy, yoda) lovely, 
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    A young man called Steve life changed for the better when met young woman called Sarah 
    A young man called Steve 
    who legs felt stiff 
    But Steve was able to lift himself up and out of wheelchair on his own 
    Steve lived on his own in a bungalow 
    One day Steve could not believe his luck when he met a beautiful young woman called Sarah 
    As Sarah loved how motivated he was when he did anything 
    Steve motivated Sarah in to becoming a qualified swimming instructor as she helped young people with a disability achieve their dream of gaining a place in the British Paralympic swimming team 

As Sarah was to see many young people with disability achieving their dream of winning a gold medal in the Paralympic

As Sarah motivated Steve to believe his dream of one day being a part of the Great British boccia team one 
    which he did take in a few years but one achichived his dream of being world champion of boccia at the Paralympic

The message that Steve and Sarah had was that people with disability can achieve anything never let anyone tell you how to live your life 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I once met a stripper from the Dream Boys, he got me on stage to help with his act to the pure delight of the hen party I was with

It was quite mild tho I wont go into details and he left me his calling card lol
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    I met Princess Anne when a project called ALBSU was launched at the CBI many years ago  It was an initiative to tackle the then 6 million people who had finished school but had not learnt literacy to a high enough level to get employment.  I was part of the Trades Union Council and we joined employers to back the scheme.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Paul Hudson is about as famous as anyone I've met has been, only Yorkshire folk will know him :) 

I did walk past James Milner when he was like mid teens and I was a very young child... I need to meet more famous people clearly.
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cher_Alumni
    janer1967 said:
    I once met a stripper from the Dream Boys, he got me on stage to help with his act to the pure delight of the hen party I was with

It was quite mild tho I wont go into details and he left me his calling card lol
    Impressive celeb mingling everyone but I think @janer1967 has trumped us all with this beauty  :D

I forgot to mention, we seem to have a big cricket contingent around where I live and I've also met Darren Gough and Geoff Boycott.  

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    I met Sir Ranulph Fiennes and actually walked with him and chatted for about 30 minutes as I took him back to his car after an event. It was a work thing. I was starstruck! An amazing man :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I walked past Brian May in London, does that count?  :D 
    Scope

Brightness