Pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip

Valerieco
Valerieco Community member Posts: 16 Connected
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm on DLA AT the moment, in May 2021 I get my pension I understand I have to reapply before I get my pension otherwise I will lose this benefit, and have to apply Attendance Allowance. Does anyone know how far in advance I should do this. Thks

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @Valerieco - the DWP should contact you about migrating from DLA to PIP before you reach state pension age. The Attendance Allowance is just for any care you need, & doesn't have a mobility component, so PIP is probably the better option.
    PIP is based on how your disability affects you in regard to activities/descriptors for daily living activities &/mobility. You need 8 or more points for the standard rate, & 12 or more for the enhanced rate for both components. Here is a list of these descriptors to give you an idea, if you cick on the link: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    If you haven't heard from the DWP by the end of the year, you could contact them. Your DLA would continue until after you'd had a PIP assessment & had a decision made. As you might get less than your current DLA ( tho you could get the same, or more), I would put off asking to claim PIP for now. :)

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I am not too sure about the answer to your question but I know someone who will

@poppy123456 can you help here please
  • Valerieco
    Valerieco Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Thank you both, I'll wait till end of year if I've not head, it's put my mind at rest
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Unless your condition has got worse and you think you're entitled to a higher award for PIP than you have for DLA then i wouldn't contact them at all. They are extremely behind where they should be for transfering people from DLA to PIP and you're not the only person that hasn't yet been invited. Reaching pension age doesn't affect your DLA claim or any transfer to PIP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Valerieco

Good Afternoon it's great to see that you have already meet a number of our members. 

@steve51
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Valerieco

I've popped your post on our PIP, DLA and AA discussion board which you might want to have a look in to read other people's stories.

Good luck with the transition to PIP when it comes around :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.