Universal credit or housing benefit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit or housing benefit?

robertt
robertt Community member Posts: 120 Connected
Hi everyone I'm 39yo living by myself, recently I was awarded daily PIP rate, and at the same time I'm receiving also universal credit with housing benefit component.
However two weeks ago I moved I simply found 1 bedroom flat and new landlord accepts dss, I have submitted my new address with universal credit people and they approved it. My question is.. Should I stay with universal credit in regards to my rent or I should apply for housing benefit directly with my local council?
Because I read on council website that people with PIP are eligible for housing benefit. If so which should I go for and what's the difference really, will i benefit from switching over to council since I'm eligible?
Thank you for your help 

Robert. 

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @robertt.
    As you're receiving Universal Credit you're unfortunately not able to switch back to a legacy benefit such as housing benefit, so you'd continue on Universal Credit for your housing costs. 
    They use the same LHA so it doesn't make any difference in your situation.

As an aside, what you read about PIP meaning you can claim housing benefit isn't strictly accurate. If you receive SDP within an income-related benefit (SDP is a premium for some people who receive PIP, depending on their circumstances), this is what enables you to claim HB instead of UC. 
    This isn't relevant to you as you're already on UC and can't get SDP. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • robertt
    Ok thank you, because I also applied for DHP as I read its to get deposit bond for the property and am assuming that the council will pay my landlord once accepted. Its been two weeks and I haven't heard back yet. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Being entitled to a DHP will totally depend on your local council and what funding they have left. As it would have been through them that you applied for this then you will need to contact them to ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • robertt
    Ok thank you guys. 
  • MarkIngleton
    MarkIngleton Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    I have a mortgage told I would be given interest payments off this when reading found they would charge me interest on the interest .  
  • poppy123456
    I have a mortgage told I would be given interest payments off this when reading found they would charge me interest on the interest .  

Hi,
    Sounds like you are talking about support for mortgage interest? https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest If so then this is purely a loan and will need to be repaid back sometime in the future.

This is different to the housing element or housing benefit, which is what the thread was orginially about.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MarkIngleton
    So why  don't renters have to pay back this is a big part o universal credit I lose if I  can not pay this i am homeless i can not  safe for deposit and rent i came not move as can not afford to the Bank has told me not to take it as  i will be taken to court  for the short fall by the bank if they take the interest
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2020
    So why  don't renters have to pay back this is a big part o universal credit I lose if I  can not pay this i am homeless i can not  safe for deposit and rent i came not move as can not afford to the Bank has told me not to take it as  i will be taken to court  for the short fall by the bank if they take the interest

Because you own your own house and renting is completely different. A person will never own the house they rent. To claim the SMI for help with mortgage interest, you need to have been claiming Universal Credit for 9 consecutive months with zero earnings.
  • MarkIngleton
    Yes  you are technically right ther is one  fact we don't own the house if I go into care my house pays for it  so I fact I dont 
  • poppy123456
    Yes  you are technically right ther is one  fact we don't own the house if I go into care my house pays for it  so I fact I dont 

Sorry but i'm not understanding you here.
  • MarkIngleton
    In a nutshell better off  paying for rent than owning your property as you get every thing payed for . AS if you own your house you pay for every thing and get nothing .As the government take your  house to pay for care 
  • poppy123456
    Well it depends how you look at it. Some prefer to buy their house, others don't because they don't have the money to buy.
  • MarkIngleton
    I have money no heating want a celling as toilet offer flowed two years ago  no kichen to speak off water damage . I have  no money  till 28 of this month out off this £400 on Bill's they what's left is food for the month   
  • poppy123456

I'm sorry to hear this. That's not a very good situation to be in and definitely not healthy for you at all.

May i ask if you've spoken to anyone at all to see if there's any help you can get with repairs to your home? Your home must must be habitable and with no kitchen, heating and water damage, it doesn't sound very habitable to me.

I'd advise you to speak to your local council and tell them exactly what you're living in and the repairs that are needed. They will have their own rules to what help they can give you. Please have a read of this link here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/moving-and-improving-your-home/help-with-home-improvements/

I really hope you can find some help with your situation.

• MarkIngleton
    Thank you sorry little heated . have seen the council housing officer  no I am responsible for all repairs  .They said I would have to take a loan out .
  • poppy123456
    I'm so sorry to hear this! There's definitely help available out there but it does depend on your local councils criteria and funding. If it was me then i'd be ringing again and speak to someone different.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.