Hello, I'm Mikko & I have a question about exercise to help peripheral neuropathy damage — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello, I'm Mikko & I have a question about exercise to help peripheral neuropathy damage

Options
mikko
mikko Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mikko and welcome to our community :)

How are you today?  Are you having problems posting?  Please let us know how we can help if you need it.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mikko  - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community. If you would like to chat here, just type a message in the box below the last one, then click 'Post Reply.' :)
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mikko

Welcome to our online community /family ?

@steve51
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @mikko Welcome to our community/family.

Have a look around the different headings.  Coffee Lounge, Recent Discussions.

I'm sure you'll find something to interest you whether it is advice or games.

Enjoy.
  • mikko
    Options
    Hi All,

My apologies, I tried to make a post but I wasn't sure where to put it. I wanted to start a discussion regarding beneficial exercises/ sports for people with peripheral neuropathy damage, besides walking that is!
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @mikko - it's fine to post here; no apologies needed, tho a member of the Scope team may move your post to somewhere they feel it might get more responses tomorrow.
    May I ask do you, or a family member have peripheral neuropathy, & have you found out what may have caused this?
    I'm a great believer in exercise, having worked as a physio a long time ago. If you could say a little more, you might get some recommendations for appropriate exercise......swimming is certainly an option. :)
  • mikko
    Options
    Hi Chiarieds,
    I have peripheral neuropathy due to some spinal damage and I am trying to navigate what I should and shouldn't do. 

Please do pm me if you are happy to share your advice!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @mikko, hopefully you're getting used to the site :)  

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi @mikko - I'll post here in case it might help others. Ideally you should ask your GP to refer you for physio, so you could have this tailored to your specific needs, but here are a few gentle exercises.
    1. In standing, step forward with your right foot, gently bending the knee on that side, whilst leaving the foot of the left side flat on the ground & keeping the left leg straight; hold for 20 secs. Repeat 5 times. Repeat, stepping forward with the left foot this time. You can do this using a kitchen worktop for balance on the side that you're stepping forward with.
    2. Repeat the above, again stepping forward with one leg, & leaving the other foot flat on the ground, but this time gently bending both knees.
    3. In standing, using a worktop for balance, go up on your tiptoes, hold for a few seconds (this time can be gradually increased up to 20 secs), then go back down. Repeat 5 times. These exercises (1-3) help stretch your calf muscles, which you should be able to feel.
    4. In standing, using a worktop for balance, & keeping your body straight, extend one leg behind you, keeping that leg straight. Hold for 5 seconds, then repeat with the other leg.
    5. Still in standing, using the worktop for balance. lift a straight leg out to the side & hold for a few seconds. Repeat 5 times, then do the same with the opposite leg.
    6. If you have stairs, you can try stepping up one step with your right foot, then bring your left foot up. Then step down with your right foot first, then the left. Repeat 5 times. Now repeat, but this this time with the left foot going up first, & being the first to step down. If you have any balance issues, hold onto a banister.
    I hope this may help as they are good gentle stretching exercises, which I would try 3 times a day, but you can gradually build up to this.
    As well as swimming, mentioned above, Tai chi would be a good form of exercise helping with stretches, & any balance issues. Please say if anything is unclear, & let us know how you get on with the above (as well as walking!)
    Just to add, if anything causes pain, stop, & don't attempt again at home.

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @chiarieds  Great advice there, thank you.

@mikko I've moved this post to our neurological conditions board so it's in a better spot for attention.  You might also want to browse other people's posts in this category to see if anything sounds familiar  :)

I hope you are having a great Wednesday.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• mikko
    Options
    Thanks @cher for moving the post

Also thanks @chiarieds ,I will try Tai Chi and hopefully can try swimming when the Covid wave is over. 

I don't really have severe neuropathic damage and I am getting a bit confused whether some sports say small amounts of cycling, which I did before getting sick, would do more damage or not. However, I am not really sure where to even get information from.  I wish there was a list of activities that would be beneficial, as well as those that should be avoided but I am not sure where to get this from.

• chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @mikko - cycling would not be contra-indicated. Walking, swimming & cycling are all good forms of exercise as they are rhythmical, & therefore a balanced way of using your muscles correctly.
    Try the calf, hamstring & hip abductor stretches above too, & if you can't get outside to walk/cycle, the step up exercise could be repeated for several minutes.
    You weren't very specific about the cause of your condition other than 'some spinal damage,' so that's why I only suggested some gentle stretching exercises.
    Anything you can do that isn't painful, & if you don't have balance issues, is a good thing. Make sure you have a healthy diet too. :)

Brightness