What are you most proud of? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are you most proud of?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
I am sure between us all we have achieved lots so lets share our proudest moments! 

You go first, then I'll share mine  :)
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• SUlee226
    SUlee226 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Cher, I hope you are well. I am really proud of my children first and foremost, but also proud of myself, as a child I was quite creative, designing things, writing poems & short stories,but then just for fun. But I used to write for the Southborough & High Brooms newsletter, I did a cookery column for 7yrs, then a poetry corner and also a gardening column. But in 2010 I had a poem of mine published in a book called “Regional Anthology of Poems!” And 2yrs later another poem of mine was published in another regional poem book. Now I write short stories for children, mostly for my grandchildren. Now your turn Cher.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Wow @SUlee226  you do right to be proud of all that. Your grandchildren are very lucky to have such a gifted gran.

My proudest achievement is one of two things (yes I'm that proud  :)

The first one is I overcame a fear of flying by going on a flying without fear course.  This was a massive step for me and it literally opened up a whole new world.  Great things lie beyond your comfort zone!  

The second one is doing my undergraduate degree as a mature student and winning two awards for my work.  I couldn't go to university at the same age as my friends because of illness and it gave me a real sense of accomplishment to finally show what I could do! 

Who's next?  

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,569 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope I missed out on university at the “normal” age due to illness as well, and hope to be a mature student some day. It is inspiring to see that you have managed to do that :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    @66Mustang Aww thank you  <3 I have enjoyed every moment of my time at uni and would definitely recommend it.  

• 66Mustang
    edited September 2020
    I haven’t really achieved very much so far in my life although I am most proud of passing my driving test, as in addition to the challenges that all new drivers face, I had to deal with a lot of other issues that most drivers will never have to deal with.

I’m also proud of my GCSE results as I was very unwell during the exam period but I still managed to get some decent grades. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    @66Mustang I'd say you have achieved plenty given you have faced many obstacles other people don't have to.  Passing your driving test and getting decent GCSE grades is fab!

• 66Mustang
    @66Mustang Aww thank you  <3 I have enjoyed every moment of my time at uni and would definitely recommend it.  
    I’m just wondering, did you go to a “brick and mortar” university, or did you study online?

Also, how old were you when you studied, if that’s not too personal a question?

Thanks! :smile:
  • Cher_Alumni
    No it's okay, I did an access course at a college followed by face to face teaching at a red brick university.  Also, I was in my mid 30's and there was older people on my course too.  It's never too late  :)

• 66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    @66Mustang I'd say you have achieved plenty given you have faced many obstacles other people don't have to.  Passing your driving test and getting decent GCSE grades is fab!
    Thanks, that’s really kind of you to say. :smile:
  • Cher_Alumni
    No problem it's true  :)

What other proud moments have people experienced?  Don't be shy! 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,613 Disability Gamechanger
    I wonder how much more quickly a 'what are your biggest regrets' thread would grow...  :o

I must admit, I'm also struggling to find something I take pride in now.  A lot of the things that I have 'achieved' despite my issues are bittersweet because I could only do them once and hated it the whole time I was there, only appreciating what I'd done afterwards but not able to even attempt it again.

I did win a 'student of engineering' award back when I was in college which I should probably be proud of.  Never thought much of it at the time.  Assumed it was just some Millennial equality thing where everyone would get an award.  I tried to pass it up as I was terrified of going to an award ceremony but was strongly persuaded to go.  It turned out there were only 2 out of each sector that won the awards so slightly more exclusive than I expected!

Still had to go to the ceremony and hated it lol, had to walk up on stage in front of a huge hall full of people...also had my picture taken and put in the local paper...  :D
  • Cher_Alumni
    Us British are a bashful lot aren't we?  I know personally, I find it easier to criticise myself but it's something I'm working on! 

That's an amazing achievement @OverlyAnxious The mere thought of engineering makes my brain hurt as I'm not technically minded.  I am sure you earned every second of that awkward prize-giving ceremony  :) Do you still have the cut out from the local paper?

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,613 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Us British are a bashful lot aren't we?  I know personally, I find it easier to criticise myself but it's something I'm working on! 

That's an amazing achievement @OverlyAnxious The mere thought of engineering makes my brain hurt as I'm not technically minded.  I am sure you earned every second of that awkward prize-giving ceremony  :) Do you still have the cut out from the local paper?
    Yes, I'm really trying to be less negative myself in all aspects of life...it's surprisingly difficult!  I realise now that it's not something that just happens, but something that takes constant hard work!

I don't have a cut-out myself but I reckon an older family member probably still does!

I like engineering as it's set by rules and laws that (almost) never change...makes it all nice and predictable!  It's the unpredictable nature of humans that I struggle with!  :D
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great thread 

I would have to say my proud achievement is being a mum and nurturing my son to be the person he is now and becoming.

I have picked myself up after a very rough few years, which included broken marriage, losing my leg, losing my job and home, losing my independance becoming a single parent all within the same year

Now I am back to enjoying life though it is a different life and my son has been my rick and my reason for keeping fighting
  • Cher_Alumni
    @OverlyAnxious It is a habit we need to work on, replacing that negative inner voice with a friendlier, best-friend one.  I agree humans are a struggle  :D

@janer1967 Blimey lady.  That is an awful lot to process and you've come out the other end as strong as you are.  Well done.  I bet your son is a true credit to you.  

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    My proudest achievement has to be getting a first class honours degree. I gave absolutely everything (probably too much) and was really passionate about what I was studying. I'm also really proud of my blog and what that has led to. I started it to ensure other young people with CP weren't alone.  <3
    Scope

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,841 Disability Gamechanger
    lots of great story's here, I'm most proud of my three kids, they are definitely my greatest achievement,
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Apart from my children I made a very nice bookcase which hasn’t been thrown out yet.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,609 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm most proud of the fact that in three weeks time we will have been married for 39 years, for better for worse and in sickness and in health we have stood together side by side .
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness