How much can I have in savings — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How much can I have in savings

Options
yvonne537
yvonne537 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My daughter as borrowed alot of money in the last 6 years. I get esa support and low rate pip. How much could I have in a savings account plz 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

PIP isn't means tested so savings/capital do not affect the amount you're entitled to.

For the ESA then it will depend whether it's Income Related, if any part of it is then savings of less than £6,000 are disregarded. Savings of  between £6,000 and £16,000 will reduce the amount of ESA you're entitled to by £1 per week for every £250 (or part there of) over than amount.

Savings/capital of £16,000 and over will mean you're not entitled to any means tested benefits at all, this includes housing benefit. Council tax reduction will depend on your local councils rules and all councils have their own criteria.

Just to be clear this includes all of your money in every bank account, at home etc etc. Not just a savings account.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,630 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @yvonne537 and welcome to scope; poppy's advice is as ever spot on, can I ask what you refer to when you say your daughter "has borrowed a lot of money in the last 6 years" and why you might think that would have a connection to YOUR benefits?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• yvonne537
    yvonne537 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thanks. Its cleared it up for me x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.