Historic childhood sexual abuse — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Historic childhood sexual abuse

Options
HelenT2
HelenT2 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hi
I am considering reporting my brother to the police over what he did to me as a child.I doubt if it will come to court but now I have turned 50 it is beginning to feel like the right time to at least report what he did to the police so it will be on record. Can I ask if anyone on here has done something similar and what your experiences have been? Where the police sympathetic or did they make your feel worse ?
Many thanks.
Helen

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @HelenT2 - I'm incredibly sorry for what you experienced as a child, Helen. I haven't gone through this, but the police will certainly be sympathetic, & take your allegation most seriously. Please have a look at this link: https://napac.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Hydrant-Reporting-Guide-July-2018.pdf
    Perhaps also consider contacting NAPAC (National Association for People Abused in Childhood) directly for additional support. Please see: https://napac.org.uk/
    Meanwhile, I hope you know, that this community is also here for you at any time. :)

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @HelenT2 I have no experience and no advice to offer but I would echo @chiarieds says about the community being here for you at any time and i'm sure we all hope that you find the inner strength to go through with something that will help you move on x
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm also really sorry about what you've been through @HelenT2. We're all here to listen whenever you need us :)

The resources posted above are really good, and I'd also like to direct you towards this NSPCC page on non-recent abuse, which I think has some useful information and advice. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi@HelenT2  I have been through child abuse.myself at the hands of my father and my cousin who was high on drugs. NAPAC is great they do a lot to help people. I spent three months in group sessions with some amazing strong people. I wish you well for the future.?
  • neuromum4
    neuromum4 Community member Posts: 71 Pioneering
    Options
    I am sorry you have had to go through this.
    I too have been through sexual abuse as a child from the age of 4-9.
    You should report it and get some support, I never got over it but I received alot of support. Over 20 years of counselling.
    In my case getting things to go to court couldn't happen, my so called mother tried to bribe the abuser.
    I have depression, anxiety, PTSD and OCD.
    I really do hope you get some sort of peace. Xx

Brightness