Mental health issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Historic childhood sexual abuse

HelenT2HelenT2 Member Posts: 14 Listener
I am considering reporting my brother to the police over what he did to me as a child.I doubt if it will come to court but now I have turned 50 it is beginning to feel like the right time to at least report what he did to the police so it will be on record. Can I ask if anyone on here has done something similar and what your experiences have been? Where the police sympathetic or did they make your feel worse ?
Many thanks.


  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 10,091 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HelenT2 - I'm incredibly sorry for what you experienced as a child, Helen. I haven't gone through this, but the police will certainly be sympathetic, & take your allegation most seriously. Please have a look at this link:
    Perhaps also consider contacting NAPAC (National Association for People Abused in Childhood) directly for additional support. Please see:
    Meanwhile, I hope you know, that this community is also here for you at any time. :)

  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,002 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HelenT2 I have no experience and no advice to offer but I would echo @chiarieds says about the community being here for you at any time and i'm sure we all hope that you find the inner strength to go through with something that will help you move on x
    I will now only offer benefits advice on PIP, and specific benefits advice for other people with Epilepsy. 
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,566

    Scope community team

    I'm also really sorry about what you've been through @HelenT2. We're all here to listen whenever you need us :)

    The resources posted above are really good, and I'd also like to direct you towards this NSPCC page on non-recent abuse, which I think has some useful information and advice. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wini1960Wini1960 Member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    [email protected]  I have been through child abuse.myself at the hands of my father and my cousin who was high on drugs. NAPAC is great they do a lot to help people. I spent three months in group sessions with some amazing strong people. I wish you well for the future.🙂
  • neuromum4neuromum4 Member Posts: 69 Courageous
    I am sorry you have had to go through this.
    I too have been through sexual abuse as a child from the age of 4-9.
    You should report it and get some support, I never got over it but I received alot of support. Over 20 years of counselling.
    In my case getting things to go to court couldn't happen, my so called mother tried to bribe the abuser.
    I have depression, anxiety, PTSD and OCD.
    I really do hope you get some sort of peace. Xx
Sign in or join us to comment.