Humiliated in MacDonald Im in such a bad way — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Humiliated in MacDonald Im in such a bad way

cupcake88
cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
edited October 2020 in Mental health and wellbeing
The last time I wrote a post like this I did get some rude comments please only nice ones as I’m in a really bad way : 

I haven’t been so good lately with my mental health . My partner took me to Mac Donald’s today to try and get me out he’s not feeling well so he parked  in disabled Bay this macdonalds happened to be in a super market . 

I went threw the super market no problems went into Mac Donald’s was questioned wears your mask . I was told by another place lanyards aren’t good enough because any one could make them . So a pip letter , blue badge or doctors note I hate my pip letter in the car and I had left my lanyard at home . Now this Mac Donald humiliated me the staff member asked where is your mask I explained they said all I had on me for not proof enough I needed a lanyard I explained I do not have that but I have all of this even my pip report in my bag . She asked what was wrong as I didn’t look like any thing was wrong with me . There was loads of people around me and I was just embarrassed. I ended up having a huge break down and it was the supermarket staff who were looking after me . 

My partner then went in there and they said that pip and blue badge doesn’t mean I can’t wear a mask they saw how bad I was and they really felt bad and apologised me and my partner then called when we got home  the manager then said she was sorry there so used to people just saying it it’s hard to believe people . I had 3 members of staff surrounding me and all the customers staring I was humiliated over just trying to get some lunch . 
She admitted it was not handled great she also said pip she disability badges mean nothing it’s all bout the lanyards the ones you can make at home I said she said well this is what the government said . Well each Shop has different rules . My mental health took a decrease because I felt forced to wear a face which was triggering bad memories .

I feel like I just don’t want to live any more 
Tagged:

Comments

• Wini1960
    Wini1960 Community member Posts: 130 Pioneering
    Hi@cupcake88 sorry to hear that your mental health is getting bad. Well done to you for making the effort to get out. The fact that you can express how you feel is good. I'm suffering with my mental health at present. Unfortunately, people don't understand how you feel and don't care. COVID19 has made people very frightened and frustrated and when they see some people not wearing a mask they feel entitled to take matters into their own hands with devastating consequences. Get your partner to take you to.A & E if your overwhelmed with suicidal thoughts or get in touch with the Samaritans. You can actually email them. I hate to use the phone when I'm mentally challenged. I do wish you all the best everything is subject to change. There has been a time when you have been okay, so that says you will get through this dark time. Hang in there. Take care, stay safe.?

• cupcake88
    Hi there I googled and Mac Donald’s are treating people like this it’s online in some papers . So there clearly used to treating people like this . I will await to hear what macdonalds say . 

I called the crisis team today . I won’t be leaving my house ever again after today . I was humiliated . I think I even screamed out what happened to me I’m so embarrassed x 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cupcake88 - I'm so sorry this happened, especially as you haven't been so good. The problem is people who can wear a mask not doing so, & making it then difficult for people who are exempt from wearing them. The problem is these other people, not you.
    Just take very good care of yourself, & you will go out again, as you are such a strong person. Think of what you've achieved so very recently, & don't let this stop you :) .
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience @cupcake88. It's totally understandable that you'd feel so upset about it.

I've sent you an email :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @cupcake88 so sorry this happened and I hope you start to get over it, in defence of the staff they have a difficult task trying to enforce government rules BUT they should do it all so much better, the problem is that more and more people are refusing to do as they should and i'm sure shop staff feel they are at risk.
    One day all this will be just a memory and covid will be history.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lou_Scope
    Lou_Scope Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    edited October 2020
    I am so sorry that you experienced this. I just wanted to say I admire your strength in getting yourself there despite being in a bad way. I am glad the supermarket staff were able to offer support and that the McDonald’s  employees realised there error. You have probably helped others by being so open about your experience. I hope you feel able to take a trip out again soon and that you have lots of support around you. Other than all the lovely people on this forum 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @cupcake88 So sorry to hear about your ordeal and I know you are not in a good place right now

Take some time to yourself doing what you like to do. It is so brave of you to share this with us

You need to think you WILL go out again dont let them win. You are stronger and better than them

I do empathise with shop worker and such workers as they may feel out of their comfort zone having to question customers it probably wasnt in their job role when they took on the job and I feel employers have fallen shortr in ensuring staff are trained to deal with this

This in no way excuses the behaviour UI think the Government should have done more to cater for those unable to wear masks by providing more guidance and something eeasily recognisable to all that you are exempt from wearing mask. This would make it so much easier for all concerned 

Maybe some sort of card that can be shown issued by GPs 

Anyway take care 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Couldn't agree more @janer1967
    I'm finding it hard to fathom how anyone feels it's their business...why the heck should anyone be asked to provide a pip letter etc to some random shop person?
    I really dont get why there hasnt been some sort of official card issued and why the government aren't speaking out against those harassing innocent people trying to go about their  business...covid or no covid.
    Take care @cupcake88 dont let them get you down.
  • cupcake88
    Thank you for your support every one . Some may thing this is over the top but I have my reasons I did call the police to 1. Ask what do people who can’t wear masks do because this can’t go out there should be one official card we carry that all places are informed on . 

No one should have to get out a pip letter, a blue badge to prove there disabled to be told that’s not a enough where’s your green lanyard and to be forced to proove but then be told that’s not good enough . 

I do feel sorry for staff it’s has to be hard for them but the police told me it can’t be enforced and you certainly do not have to proove your disabled he said regardless of whether you left your lanyard at home you do not have to show your pip letter or blue badge to get a Mac Donald’s the police have put this down as a hate crime because of the way I was treated .

they will be approaching staff to question there policies and to check there cctv ect , I did say as much as the staff handled it wrong there only acting on orders and the police said they will take it up with the correct people in Mac Donald’s . He said that no business can treat any one like that disabled or not . 

There’s too much of this in the papers Mac Donald’s staff keep doing this so If distraught people and being in the paper don’t bother them maybe the police having a word will take this serious .

only the reason why I’m taking this far is not for money or for free  Mac Donald’s . It was in fact how I was treated . And how they said I did not look disabled that scared me thinking how many people have they approached like this who are vulnerable and what and have invisible I’llnesses . 

I would never in my life wish what happened to me on any one never but you would think it be common sense to why people with a mental illness can’t wear a mask . 

I hope they learn from how they treated me .,
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for the update @cupcake88. I'm glad that the police are taking this seriously, and I hope this leads to some changes in attitudes.

How are you feeling today? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness