Fridge help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fridge help

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
Is anyone good with fridges?

I have a small plug in fridge/wine cooler type thing in my room. It’s started making a nasty grinding/humming noise but the strange thing is it is only intermittent - it makes the noise for about 5-10 mins every couple of hours almost on a cycle. The rest of the time it is completely fine.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be and how to fix it? I have tried turning the fridge off for 24 hours to defrost it.

The intermittency is what I can’t get my head around. It can’t be something stuck in the fan as it would be making the noise constantly.

It had a 1 year warranty and I’ve had it 18 months. :(

Comments

• willow12
    willow12 Community member Posts: 280 Pioneering
    @66Mustang your wine cooler possibly making that noise as it's nearly empty lol 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope someone can help @66Mustang
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    'Me too :) I fear I will have to get a new one though :( it was "only" £80 so would probably cost close to buying a new one to get someone to take a look at it. I might take it apart myself as a last resort.
  • 66Mustang
    willow12 said:
    @66Mustang your wine cooler possibly making that noise as it's nearly empty lol 
    Haha :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you know what type of fridge it is?  

Normal kitchen fridges use a compressor that runs roughly every hour (using a thermostat) which would explain the intermittency...but they'd be pretty noisy for a bedroom.

I guess yours is an absorption type instead?  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi my fridge freezer does the same thing, it works on temperature and the cooling system kicks in when it needs to cool down and this makes a noise. But strange you havent heard it before now maybe it is getting a bit worn with age

I agree though would probably be cheaper to get a new one than pay for repair
  • 66Mustang
    Do you know what type of fridge it is?  

Normal kitchen fridges use a compressor that runs roughly every hour (using a thermostat) which would explain the intermittency...but they'd be pretty noisy for a bedroom.

I guess yours is an absorption type instead?  
    Thanks for the post. Unfortunately I’m not sure what type of fridge it is. I thought I had the manual somewhere but I can’t find it! It isn’t really quiet even when it’s working normally - it’s about the same as an old fashioned PC fan whirring away.
  • 66Mustang
    janer1967 said:
    Hi my fridge freezer does the same thing, it works on temperature and the cooling system kicks in when it needs to cool down and this makes a noise. But strange you havent heard it before now maybe it is getting a bit worn with age

I agree though would probably be cheaper to get a new one than pay for repair
    Hi, thanks for the post. I don’t think it’s a normal noise as it’s really unhealthy sounding, a bit like a grinding noise.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It may be the fan or motor sorry I'm no expert lol 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there plenty of space for the air to circulate round it?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    woodbine said:
    Is there plenty of space for the air to circulate round it?
    Thanks for the post, yep it makes the noise even when empty.

Or do you mean around the outside of the fridge - yes there is plenty of space around it as well.
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @66Mustang Whatever you do please do not attempt a self repair.  If it is something to do with the cooling system you could release harmful gases especially if it is an older model.  Sounds like it is getting warm and the chiller  is cutting in to restore a good working temperature.  If it is a wine cooler, drinks fridge should it be icing up at all?  I am no expert but worked closely with contractors who maintained fridges,and chillers for air con.
  • roberttaylor570
    @66Mustang I agree that if it was only £80 it is probably not worth a call out plus labour and parts.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for the advice @roberttaylor570 I didn’t know about the harmful gasses. Next time it makes the noise I will see if it is hot and report back.
  • roberttaylor570
    @mustang Even if the sides or back get hot it doesn't mean it is broken.  We have just bought a brand new Fridge/Freezer and the sides get quite hot at times. It is all part of how it works.
  • 66Mustang
    Well, it hasn’t made the noise yet since yesterday, very weird!!

I don’t like intermittent faults, it makes them harder to solve!

Brightness