Assessors do you think your assessment was impacted by the sex of your assessor? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Assessors do you think your assessment was impacted by the sex of your assessor?

Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
Am I being a sexist old bag?
Only it occurred to me after finally getting an assessment date that I would prefer to have a female assessor.
I just feel they would naturally be more empathetic,  I dont mean "more of a soft touch" as it were...just more understanding...
Does anyone here feel their assessment went a particular way because of the male or female assessor?
Or is there no difference whatsoever?
And I'm being a sexist old bag...lol

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I've had both male and female for PIP and the work capability assessment and all of them have been extremely nice. All reports were honest and truthful. So for me i'd say no, it's not made any difference.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I sometimes think it's the opposite and men can be more empathetic but that's just my opinion 

I have only had female assessors to date so this is purely based on my own perception 

• ernie2009
    ernie2009 Community member Posts: 167 Pioneering
    ive aplied for pip 3 times now and been assessed twice and the most recent about 3wks ago. both times by males and both times lots of porkies and the most recent was badgered on a couple of questions. dont know if a female assessor would of made any difference to be honest as never had one to assess me. i suppose we all get good and bad days and that includes our dear assessors.  :)
  • Cress
    Yeah, we're all just human at the end of the day....I hate that phrase lol
    There would be certain issues I'd be uncomfortable discussing with a male, but I think I remember it being possible to ask for female...
  • Dee78
    Dee78 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Sounds like you have all had different experiences. I am female, I had a male assessor, and he was a very big bloke. As it was a home visit, I was glad I had a tape recorder and a friend. So that was ok. When I told assessor I was recording the interview, he immediately denied I had asked for permission! I think if I hadn't had friend with me, I could have felt intimidated, even if he didn't intend it. My main advice is, whichever gender/non gender you have, record the interview! I got my PIP, and I am convinced it is because I had every word recorded. No porkies possible! I think you need two tape recorders for the interview, no digital devices ( unless things have moved on since I applied) 
  • Cress
    Thank you for the responses everyone   :)
    I wont be requesting a female assessor, not that I'm superstitious in any way shape or form (yeah right  :# ) I'd be convinced I'd be putting the mockers on it, sods law and all that....

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.