Who am I — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Who am I

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
Does anyone like me find the term (Disabled) inappropriate? 
To many able bodied people being disabled means anyone carrying that 'tag' are unable to do anything normal.
OK. Maybe we can't do many things they do. Or would like to do, or even did do. But thinking we are unable to do anything doesn't fit, does it? There are the Paralympics. They achieve great things. Although most of us can't 
Today with the virus, many comp!ain about not being able to do the normal things and suffer with metal health problems as a result. We hear things like, go for a walk, take some exercise go outside to help. But what if you simply can't do things like that?
Being disabled can mean struggling with menta! Issues daily.
For able bodied people the virus will end and normal times will return. For disabled people the struggle with all these issues will go on.
So does the term disabled fit?
Any ideas?

Comments

• roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Where to start?

I have been suffering with my "disabilities" since birth.  I am Epileptic and although I have sight in one eye the other never taught itself to see so I am legally registered as Blind.

I have been labelled as "Visually Impaired" "Handicapped"  "Educationally Sub Normal" (the term ESN was used before SEN or now SEND

Yes I do have problems that able bodied people do not have.  As I was never "Abled in the first place how can I be DIS abled?

Perhaps the term "Other Abled" would be more descriptive.

I now suffer with Arthritis and due to medication I am losing bone mass, have Gastric Reflux and a Hernia.

I will never be able to drive and even walking is slow.

Yes I suppose I am Disabled but what else do we call it?
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    My son hates being labelled as someone with a learning disability or special needs.
    Words like handicapped, retarded, backward not used now but whatever name is used will always have negative connotations and be seen as derogatory....
    But, as above, what do we say?
  • roberttaylor570
    @Cress @Dragonslayer What do you think of the term, "Other Abled"?
  • Cress
    Tbh I think other abled sounds too much like dancing around the issue...I quite like a suggestion i heard from someone about being called Xmen and Xwomen...lol
  • roberttaylor570
    @Cress One other suggestion doing the rounds is to say things like a (dis)-ability forum or representative.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't consider myself disabled. To me anything that dis-ables you means you are less able to do something. As you say, this sort of scenario doesn't always 'fit' others perception about disability. It also doesn't answer why I feel I'm not disabled, rather a person that has problems due to my disorders.
    Personally, altho I certainly have limitations, I can do many things, altho it takes me longer, & often causes an increase in the daily chronic pain I contend with.
    I think the pandemic has illustrated that some 'disabled' people completely understand the difficulties that many ordinary people have recently experienced with restrictions on their lifestyle, as this has been their 'norm.'
    There appears to be an increase in mental health issues in both 'ordinary' people, & those considered 'disabled.'
    Again, this is just from a personal perspective, as I was already unable to go for a walk, I do exercise daily in my home. I think there are perhaps ways around doing things, which are worth exploring.
    I also think the pandemic has caused problems for everybody, but has highlighted the problems some 'disabled' people have been living with.
    There have been various terms for the problems some have faced over the years; 'disabled' is the current one.

• Cress
    Actually, on thinking on it I like the idea of a series of letters after your name...you could have fred blogs ASD/ followed by any degrees or certificates you have etc..no one label fits all to get hung up on and become negative sounding....
    I apologise, it's late, I cant sleep.... lol
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I like the idea that, for balance, because I am not able to do certain things as well as others, I am able to do other certain things better than others.

I just haven’t found out what those things are yet. :D
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Ah @66Mustang - then you're a 'Balanced Explorer.' :)
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds good :smiley:
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I used to tell my children to try as many things as possible because you never know what you’re good at unless you try. They found many things that they were good at in the main. Me too.

i refuse to be labelled by my abilities however, or lack of abilities, I am more than that as are we all.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Cress said:
    Actually, on thinking on it I like the idea of a series of letters after your name...you could have fred blogs ASD/ followed by any degrees or certificates you have etc..no one label fits all to get hung up on and become negative sounding....
    I apologise, it's late, I cant sleep.... lol

I like the idea of have letters after your name. that's a great idea. It removes the 'Abnormal' thought from people's minds. ?

• Dragonslayer
    Thanks for all the comments and ideas.
    I rather like the thought of being a superhero, after all we are special right! ?
    I also like the idea of having letters after your name.
    I really think together we can find something to suit everyone's need and thought. 
    I remember the struggle I had inside with the thought of having my disabled parking bay painted outside my house. I knew that once there with the wheelchair emblem in the centre it would mark me out for all to see. Not that I was hiding my condition it was just the thought of it being 'Blazed' all over the place marked me as something different and someone to pity and feel sorry for. 
    Together we can surely find something a little better? ?
  • Dragonslayer
    66Mustang said:
    I like the idea that, for balance, because I am not able to do certain things as well as others, I am able to do other certain things better than others.

I just haven’t found out what those things are yet. :smile:

I'm. sure you will ?

• roberttaylor570
    @Dragonslayer Let's give it a go.  Robert VI, E, SHH, GS, A, OP, GR, ESQ
  • Dragonslayer
    Wow @roberttaylor570 that's impressive.
    Among other things I have Spinal Stenosis. Severe arthritis in both legs. My (lucky charm) lol in my right lung which brought about a cancer scare. Major surgery on an anurism, found during the cancer scare. A complete knee replacement. Which is the only part of my body that doesn't hurt ? 
    Can't have SS. Thinking of the Nazis here. 
    I'm thinking Alan SASSY? Hmmm.  Maybe? 
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    The word disabled disables me. For me, the word disabled is almost like a prophecy - if I get stuck with the label, then I start behaving like the label, my mindset becomes the mindset of 'you're not normal, you can't do anything'. It sends my own mind the message that my behaviour 'should be' limited, I 'shouldn't' be able to do these things.
    I don't like the way I react to it. Maybe it's internalised stigma. But I feel like accepting the word is like accepting the stigma of what I 'should be like' and that's really harmful to me. It also makes me feel guilty every time I improve. But I'm too ill to escape it.

Society calls me disabled; I am me, and I define myself. 
  • roberttaylor570
    @Dragonslayer It stands for Visual Impairment, Epilepsy, Sliding Hiatus Hernia, Gaul Stones, Arthritis, Osteopenia, Gastric Reflux.  Quite a list and a heap of meds.  Some are causing other conditions which have to be treated as well.  Oh and I am a Super Hero.  The Bionic Man, having a stainless Steel Hinge and 3 screws holding my left shoulder and arm together due to an accident 30 years ago.
  • Dragonslayer
    The word disabled disables me. For me, the word disabled is almost like a prophecy - if I get stuck with the label, then I start behaving like the label, my mindset becomes the mindset of 'you're not normal, you can't do anything'. It sends my own mind the message that my behaviour 'should be' limited, I 'shouldn't' be able to do these things.
    I don't like the way I react to it. Maybe it's internalised stigma. But I feel like accepting the word is like accepting the stigma of what I 'should be like' and that's really harmful to me. It also makes me feel guilty every time I improve. But I'm too ill to escape it.

Society calls me disabled; I am me, and I define myself. 
    Very well said and completely understood 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Personally, disabled is just another word to me. I've never really given much thought as to how the word makes me feel. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness