Transferring to universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Transferring to universal credit

April
April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
I have just discovered that my severely disabled son would get more money if he was on Universal Credit. He is on ESA at the moment. In the support group.
Does he have to wait until he is contacted, or can he request to transfer over to Universal Credit now?
Thanks.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I dont know the answer but I am sure other members will 

If not contact welfare rights 

Just wanted to say hi 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @April. He can choose to switch to UC himself and just apply, he doesn’t have to be contacted first.

Be sure to double-check your figures and ask any questions about UC before you make the change though, because he won’t be able to return to ESA once he claims UC. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • April
    April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Hi @Adrian_Scope,
    Thank you for your reply. 
    That's very helpful.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Let us know if there's anything else we can help out with @April :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Also to point out that if he's currently claiming the severe disability premium in with his ESA then he won't be able to claim UC. Also do be aware that the standard allowance for UC has been increased by about £90 per month because of Covid19 and is due to return to it's usual amount from April 2021.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • TeddyB22
    TeddyB22 Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
    Hi. Sorry to jump into the middle of a question but how do we know if we are getting the extra Corvid-19 money? Does it say on your journal? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    TeddyB22 said:
    Hi. Sorry to jump into the middle of a question but how do we know if we are getting the extra Corvid-19 money? Does it say on your journal? 

It will tell you on your statement each month. It's in with your standard allowance, which has increased by about £90 per month. Total amounts as follows...
    Single under 25 £342.72
    single over 25 £409.89
    Joint claimant both under 25 £488.59
    Joint claimant with at least 1 being over 25 £594.04

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.