Do you have a hobby? If so what is it? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you have a hobby? If so what is it?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
One of my hobbies is supporting people in this community, I love to help and support others. 
Another hobby is reading self help books and mental health magazines. 
It would be nice if any one could suggest something different. 
I look forward to seeing your feedback ?

Comments

• roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @Tammyjane33 I wouldn't call them hobbies but I enjoy being heavily involved in my community.  I am a "political animal", so to speak.  As a member of both The Labour Party and The Co-Operative Party I am an ekected representative on Gillingham and Rainham Constituency Labour Party Executive Committee and as such am a local Representative for my area, Gillinham North.  It takes some pressure off local Councillors as residents often approach me first and I can point them in the right direction.  I also sit on the PCC at my Church.  Apart from all that I attend at a Community Centre and go to a Group called Men in Sheds.  This is set up with some Council Funding and some from Sunlight Development Trust.  We help support Men aged over 25 who are unemployed or retired and need company.  It helps to stop Social Isolation and in turn can reduce the incidence of suicide.

On a lighter note I enjoy quizzes and listening to radio.

Take care

Robert
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Great hobbies @roberttaylor570 and @Tammyjane33!

I often wish I had one consistent hobby, but I don't tend to stick with things :D I enjoy doing puzzles, watching TV series and films, and listening to music. I also like to volunteer when I can, and have played a few sports over the years. Of course, I spend far too much time on the internet as well. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I also enjoy posting on this community. I would enjoy helping others but I never know what the answers are to their questions so I end up just posting on the coffee lounge :D

I enjoy driving my car but I can only do this a bit each day as the costs are expensive.

I also use the computer to play games and post on other forums as well as this one, plus I like to research random topics.

I have just got some self help books as well so I am looking forward to having a look at those.

Finally, I am studying an A level.

Thanks for reading :)
  • Tori_Scope
    What A Level are you studying for @66Mustang

• 66Mustang
    @Tori_Scope I’m studying for economics :) 
  • Steveoldone
    Steveoldone Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    I have three hobbies (yes, I'm greedy):-

1:Formula one racing, I loved it for decades as a fan and although it's not the same and totally lost its way, I still spend time looking into the history of it and watching videos of old races

2: Pilots and Aerial combat of The Great War.  For me the The aircraft in WW1 were amazing, it was just over a decade since man first even flew so it was totally a new thing back then and the first aircraft were not even designed for combat.  reading about it and legends like Mick Mannock, Albert Ball and James McCudden is both amazing and horrifying.

3:Video games or really, programming simple games, I'll never be an expert and I can't handle more than 20 mins at my keyboard at any time but coming up with an idea for a simple game and then seeing it come together on screen as you create it is just a massive thrill.  I used to do it in the 1980's and I could bang a simple game together in a couple of days, these days it takes me 2-3 months to make a simple game but it's fine and it is the main thing that is keeping me sane and my brain working.

• Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    I'm trying to develop healthier habits for myself. I know there are certain things that are good for me, but if I become too optimistic I crash.
    At the moment my daily routine involves one session of drawing (but it's really lowkey like spiral patterns) and one session of singing, although quietly to myself cause weakness. In the evening I have what I call a 'mental health activity' - something relaxing thats good for my stress and good for my mind. That can include jigsaw, listening to music, more drawing/messing around with paints. I often fail but I keep trying.
    (I'm doing uni work or resting the rest of the time)
    Oh and I'm mentoring a couple of newbie first years at my uni! I really enjoy that and I love helping people.
  • roberttaylor570
    @Francis_theythem That sounds so productive.  My Daughter in Law doesn't really need a hobby, having three children, 1, 7 and 10 plus a husband and me to look after but she finds time to go out and about with binoculars and a camera taking pictures of nature.  She doesn't think she is very good but people have commented on them.
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    I have ME, so I have to do little bits of activity with rest throughout the day. So I do little bits of several things a day. It's all from my room and it's really relaxing and nice not to do the same thing all the time.
    Should clarify: only one mental health activity happens in the evening.
  • Tori_Scope
    Fancy the Chancellor's job @66Mustang? ;) 

• Tori_Scope
    Interesting hobbies @steveoldone! One of our members created a thread on video games, which you might enjoy. I'm sure many of them would be interested in hearing more about how to make a game.

• Tori_Scope
    I'm glad the mentoring is going well @Francis_theythem, and that you're keeping up the art! Doing a mental health activity in the evening is a really good idea.

• 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    Fancy the Chancellor's job @66Mustang? ;) 

Haha, no thanks :D I find it hard to cope with any kind of argument and have to turn off the radio when the debates start so to have to do to every day as a job would be a nightmare :D

If we lived in a dictatorship where I wasn’t under public scrutiny then maybe... ;)
  • Tori_Scope
    Yeah, I could never do that kind of job either @66Mustang :D 

What a great idea! Why has no one thought of that before... What could possibly go wrong? 

• roberttaylor570
    @66Mustang @Tori_Scope When you have worked with as many Chancellors as I have you get used to the job.
  • Tori_Scope
    I forget you're a political animal @roberttaylor570! I did a politics and social policy degree, but going into politics as a job gets a big 'no' from me

• roberttaylor570
    edited October 2020
    @Tori_Scope I worked at The Treasury for 23 years and dealt with many shades of government.  I met the Great and the not so good, lol.  Healey was my favourite as one day we were in a lift together and he just came out with a joke.
  • Tori_Scope
    Wow @roberttaylor570! Ha, why not I suppose. It's nice when they have a sense of humour

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @steveoldone!  I am also a great fan of F1 watch every race and would love to go one day though I think you get a better view from the tv, but the atmosphere would be great

I had booked tickets fr a visit to the Silverstone experience centre but unfortunately didnt get to go
  • 66Mustang
    @roberttaylor570 that sounds like an interesting career.

Brightness