Recruitment issue — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recruitment issue

Sheerah
Sheerah Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2020 in Work and employment
I've made so many applications for work yet despite being skilled and their stating guaranteed interviews..It isn't happening. Rejection is the only constant. Any advice welcome ??

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Hi @Sheerah! I'm really sorry to hear you're having problems accessing work. Being turned down for lots of jobs can be really demoralising. 

If you're over 16 and live in either England or Wales, you might want to take a look at Scope's Support to Work service. They're a great team, and they can support you in applying for jobs. 

What kind of jobs are you looking for, if you don't mind me asking?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sheerah - did you look into Scope's 'Support to Work' programme & the other links members posted a month ago? I would try the one Tori has mentioned; it would be a good place to start. :)
  • Sheerah
    Sheerah Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Tori
    Thank you for your reply.  I really don't know what I would be able to do as I've been out of work since January 2020. I had an accident in February 2019. I think I could work as a Cashier. I have decades of retail experience but am unable to bend, reach up or stand for a period I am unable to kneel either.  I have been applying for retail in hope of a Cashier job. I also have some experience in reception work.? so nothing from that sector either. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Sheerah. :)
    Scope

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hmm yes, that is tricky @Sheerah. It's a difficult time for anyone looking for work at the moment, so try not to get too disheartened. It's great that you have lots of experience. I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with Support to Work, as they can help you to get your CV to be the best it can be! 

Do you have an idea of why you might be getting rejected? Have you been able to ask for feedback (I know it's not always possible)? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It's really difficult atm with so many people losing their jobs, I read somewhere last week that 6,000 people had applied for one job, the last time we saw this was 35 years ago, the only advice I have is to keep applying and something will happen.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome you will only be guaranteed an interview if you meet the minimum requirements for the role and if the company are disability awareness recognised

Have you been in contact with the jo centre as they often have disability advisers it may also be worth registering with some agencies
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Just to echo what others have said @Sheerah this is an especially difficult time for job seekers so try not to think it's something you are doing 'wrong'.  

Scope's Support to work service are very friendly and so I'd recommend contacting them for their advice.

Also, something I have learnt is to make sure you are hitting all the essential job criteria in your application.  Even to the point where you think something is obvious, spell out that you have the skills and why.  This is important so that when it comes down to shortlisting your application isn't rejected on the grounds of missing something.

Lots of luck and we are all rooting for you  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness