A big step forward in the accessibility of the police service — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A big step forward in the accessibility of the police service

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

This week saw the launch of a new scheme to help visually impaired people identify police officers, following a campaign by a blind woman.

Tina Snow, from the Isle of Wight, was unable to see the warrant card produced by an officer at her home, and the officer had no other way of identifying himself.

Let's learn about the scheme

Hampshire, West Yorkshire and Thames Valley police have now launched the new scheme, known as the Visual Impairment Protocol, which will require officers to confirm a password decided by the sight impaired person before gaining entry to a property.

When a visually impaired person calls 101 or 999 and informs the call handler they have an impairment, a password of their choice is agreed upon and used by attending officers going forward whenever the specified property is visited.

The new scheme can be used by anyone with a visual impairment or their carers.

Tina Snow said: "Last year I had a police officer call at my door...unfortunately he did not have any braille ID on him. I let him in and I shouldn't have because I was taking a huge risk, as he could have been anybody."

Following this, she then approached Hampshire Constabulary and called for the system to be changed.

Assistant Chief Constable Craig Dibdin, of Hampshire police, said the force was working with local sight charities to improve the scheme, and that it is hoped that all 43 police forces across England and Wales will adopt the scheme in the future.

Why stop here? 

While this is a great step forward for the accessibility of the police service, it highlights the need for similar action to be taken across other sectors.

As a severely sight impaired individual, I feel a touch of nerves whenever I open the door to an unknown somebody requesting access to my residence. That could include police officers of course, but there are many other occasions where disabled people have to consider letting a stranger into their home,, like for metre readings, installing services like broadband, maintenance workers like plumbers and electricians, and of course the other emergency services.

• What do you think of this scheme?
  • Do you think it could and should be extended to other sectors? 
  • How do you think the police force, and other services that require somebody to enter your home, could be made more accessible for all disabled people?
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really interesting!
    Scope

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I think it’s a good idea having a password. I’ve thought for years that anyone can pretend to be a policeman warrant card or not. Great idea. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    That’s not something I had ever considered and I think it is a good idea. I would have thought in this day and age the warrant cards would have had some sort of Braille on them but obviously not.

A few years ago I think there was some sort of card brought out for autistic people to show to police officers so they know they are dealing with somebody autistic. Am I talking rubbish or was this a thing that happened and does anybody know more?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I wasn't aware of the scheme @66Mustang, so I looked it up and it seems as though you're right. They're called autism alert cards. Some police forces seem to have downloadable versions that you can get onto your smartphone too. 

I searched for autism alert cards, and lots of local forces have sections on their website about it. The National Appropriate Adult Network have also posted some information about the scheme.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for the info @Tori_Scope :)

Brightness