Hi, my name is sahra50 and I have a question about ESA medical assessments. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is sahra50 and I have a question about ESA medical assessments.

sahra50
sahra50 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
I was awarded ESA in April this year and placed on the basic rate. It has now been 6 months since I applied and I am still waiting for a medical assessment to determine the main phase and which group I should be placed into. How can I speed this up? there's no help or support and I have been advised to wait until I'm contacted.?

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sahra50 and welcome to our online community.

How are you today?  Until members come along to reply, I've moved this post to our Employment and Support Allowance Board to help people understand what your question relates to.  

I hope you have a lovely weekend and feel free to get involved around the community :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • sahra50
    Oh sorry if I've made a mistake?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @sahra50 ooh no! Definitely not  :) It's just to make sure people spot your question. 

I'm sorry you haven't received any support or help while waiting for the assessment too, that must have been difficult.  Let's hope we can get you some answers!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome unfortunately there are backlogs for assessments so there isnt really a lot you can do other than wait 

Some people call the assessment agency and are lucky to get a cancelled appt 
  • sahra50
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Have you received the work capability assessment form (ESA50) and filled it out and returned it yet? If you have then you can ring the health assessment advisory service to ask how long the wait is. https://www.chdauk.co.uk/

Face to face assessments are still suspended and telephone assessments have replaced them, which most people have. If they are unable to get enough of information through the telephone assessment then you'll need to wait until the face to face ones are back up and running again.

Do also be aware that your ESA is only paid for 365 days unless placed into the Support Group. Once the decision's been made it will either be fit for work, WRAG or Support Group.

While you're waiting for the assessment you could do some research about the Support Group and it's criteria to see if any of the decriptors apply to you, they don't apply to everyone. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

Hopefully, you're not waiting too much longer but there's no timescales.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @sahra50 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • sahra50
    Thank you for the information. I'll check the criteria for the support group.
  • invisibledisability
    invisibledisability Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi Sahra50,  I went through a rough time with assessments when I first became so disabled I couldn't work.  Make sure that when you have your assessment that they right things down correctly and ask for a copy of the report.  10 years ago I had assessments for DLA and ESA most of my conditions were not written down on the assessment report.  The doctor who assessed me for DLA could hardly speak English and wrote nothing down for my incontinence, trouble walking etc, etc.  It was a total mess and it was similar for my ESA, it was almost as if as soon as I walked through the door, they took one look at me, thought that I looked well and decided not to award it to me.  I appealed, the tribunal broke me and nearly made me commit suicide.  I was rejected for everything other than ESA, which I got for one year (I was not put in the support group).  I continued to work, ended up in hospital, cryig at work in agony on the floor and accidentally overdosed on morphine as I was in so much pain I didn't know how much or when I had taken it.  All as I can say is that make sure whatever they write reflects your condition.  It was another 4 years before I got any money from DLA as I was so terrified to apply.  Since then I have used my DLA to adapt my house, garden and bought equipemnt to help me do things. I eventually got ESA as I had continued to work for some time but this time working has caused long term damage to my condition and my health never recovered.  
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @invisibledisability, did you receive any support for your mental health at the time? I know you've mentioned that this happened in the past, I'm just concerned by your mention of suicide and wanted to check in.
    Scope

• sahra50
    Hi, 
    That sounds like a terrible experience! On top of I'll health as well. I'm glad you eventually got it sorted although you shouldn't have had to go through that.
    I've got my PIP telephone assessment on 15th and I've been given a number to chase up my ESA medical.
    Its awful when you have extra costs to pay because of ill health and you have to choose between paying a bill or buying food.
    X

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @invisibledisability, how are you doing today? :)
    Scope

• invisibledisability
    invisibledisability Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I am ok thank you, how are you?  Sorry not been on for a few days had previous issues with log on.  Still struggling withh finding equipment for my car, nobody seems to accomodat those with mobility issies that cannot sit down.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @invisibledisability, glad you are doing okay :) 

Are the issues you've had with logging on solved now?
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @sahra50, have you heard any more about your ESA assessment? I hope you've now been given a date. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.