Visually impaired toddler can’t get DLA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Visually impaired toddler can’t get DLA

leahsmum
leahsmum Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My 2 year nearly 3 year old daughter is severely sight impaired and has been turned down for DLA because “all children of this age need high levels of attention and care”.

Is this right?? 

It says that they acknowledge when she’s older her needs will increase so do I just wait until she’s older to apply again and if so, what age is old enough?

My daughter wakes 7-8 times a night and needs us physically touching to reassure her etc. She finds lots of things very difficult and I spend a lot more time doing stuff to help her than I do her twin. She needs more help keeping safe, more reassurance and everything just takes longer.

I first applied when she was 8 months as her play therapist suggested it and helped with the forms and we got turned down and I accepted all 8 month olds probably need more help so was hard, but now she’s mobile it’s completely different which is why I tried again.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leahsmum and a big welcome to our online community  :) I'm glad you found us.

I've popped your post on our PIP, DLA and AA discussion board to get it some attention from our knowledgeable benefit bods and hope we can help you.   
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,339 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask if you requested the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then Tribunal for either decision? If you didn't, was there any reasons why?

To constantly reapply using the same evidence you previously used will very likely see constant refusals. May i ask when was the date of the last decision?

Yes, all children of this age need care and attention but some children need more than others and it's definitely possible to claim DLA at this age, lots of people do.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi @leahsmum

A very warm welcome.

I am tagging @Username_removed as he has detailed experience of VI and he is also a welfare rights advisor.

For what it’s worth you should explain the help that your daughter needs, beyond those of a child with no impairment.

Keep us updated.

Best wishes
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome I hope the advice given will be some help 

If you think your child should be awarded then appeal the decision you have nothing to lose 
  • leahsmum
    Thank you for all the kind support.

I didn’t appeal the first decision (when she was 8 months) because I agreed maybe as she wasn’t mobile that it’s harder to explain why her care needs were more.

I didn’t reapply with the same evidence as her needs have changed (gotten worse). I had all new evidence for this application. This time I had a new report from her play therapist, a report from nursery where she has a 1to1 explaining the things they do for her they don’t do for other children, a letter from her health visitor and another from our family worker who comes over once a week to help me. They all included a lot of detail about the extra care and supervision she needs. 

I want to appeal this decision because I think it’s wrong but I was wondering if they were right and I need to wait until she’s older to apply? 

I’m also not very good at getting myself across and can’t get help from welfare rights or anything as no one offers online help and my own disability means I can’t use the phone or go out to meet someone new
  • janer1967
    I understand 

Have a look through the report and each descriptor where you think she could score more . Then for the MR give real examples of the help required and what happens if no help , who helps her, what they do and so on 

Like I said you have nothing to lose 
  • leahsmum
    Sorry I don’t know what you mean by report. I just got a decision letter saying no and it has a very short paragraph as to why, which basically says all children of her age need lots of supervision and care and although they acknowledge her needs may increase in future they can’t consider that now.

That’s all it says.

Are there specific descriptors for DLA? Should I have a different report?
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Hi all

Think there is a misunderstanding, this a DLA claim, not PIP.  There are no descriptors in DLA.

You should request copies of all records about your claim from DWP, in particular the case manager’s notes (they are not medically trained and have no knowledge of child development).

Hope this helps.
  • janer1967
    Sorry for confusing you it was my error I thought you still got a report with DLA 

I hope you get sorted 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @leahsmum and welcome to the community! Here is some information about how to appeal a DLA decision which you might find helpful.

If you have any other questions then please do let us know. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.