Chronic back pain - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic back pain

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @elisaFrag! Sorry to hear your back pain has affected energy levels! How are you feeling today?
    Scope

• LoraMoser
    LoraMoser Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    While I suffered from the back pain, at the advice of my family doctor, I bought an inversion table near the beginning of my recent bought of disc rupture. I think it would be a good exercise to include in my routine to prevent or relieve my disc before it ruptures. It's uncomfortable now with the rupture.  
    Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.
  • Abdi_Scope
    Abdi_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 268 Pioneering
    Hi @blueeyes19 how are you getting on ? How are coping with your chronic back pain?
  • Larry
    Larry Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi all, I been suffering from chronic back pain for about two years. As I'm sure most of you have, I've blown too much money heart ache and time. Getting better for a few days then getting worse. NHS GP ,Private doc, chiropractors, osteopaths, inversion table ...tried them all .It was with a heavy heart that I resined myself that my career and life would be this . Im dyslectic as hell so buying a book on back problems was the last thing I wanted to do. but during an internet search I stumbled across 'Back Mechanic' Long story short I bought the book , READ THE REVIEWS it will give you confidence . https://www.amazon.co.uk/Back-Mechanic-Stuart-McGill-2015-09-30/dp/B01FKSGJYC Im now on the road to a full recovery, I'd recommend if you're interest that the version with Vimeo clips is best. It costs more, but see it as the price of going to a chiropractor (but on this occasion you only have to pay ones ). If you have any questions feel free to email me .
  • Joshua1959
    Joshua1959 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Hi everyone,my name is Jon,i have degenerative disc decease,which is very painful,there is no surgery they can do to help me,i was wondering if anybody could tell me how to cope with the pain,which is very difficult to deal with.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Joshua1959! I'm going to make your comment here into a new post if that's okay, as that'll help people to see your question and offer up any advice they might have. I'll leave your comment here too, though. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Joshua1959
    Hi  Tori,that would be great thankyou.
  • Tori_Scope
    No problem @Joshua1959 :) You can find the post here.

• Parinitha
    Parinitha Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited December 2020
    Back pain is inevitable but the cure is possible without surgery. [removed by moderator - link to chiropractor] are there to help. Do not tolerate the pain and meet your chiropractor today.
  • Tori_Scope
    Hi @Parinitha!

Just to let you know, I've removed the link in your comment, as we don't allow specific advertisements on the community. 

• TDmary
    TDmary Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I'm pregnant for 5 month and i feel some back pain. It was not  before time. i did not sleep on bed Dr. tell me to use back pain lift recliner . my question is can I use also inversion table . What I can do now?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2021
    @TDmary Hello there and apologies for not spotting your post sooner, you must be around the 7 month mark now?  How's it going?  

I'm also 5 months pregnant experiencing lower back pain and have been trying some of the self-care techniques recommended by the NHS.  I find a warm bath and support pillow in bed alleviate it somewhat but not fully.  Did you find anything that eased your pain?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Joshua1959
    I have been diagnosed with,degenerative disc decease,very uncumfortable at times,so now i know what the pain was,more disapointing is knowing there is nothing they can do for me,just have to keep taking my medication.
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear that @Joshua1959. Have you tried any physical therapies to see if that could help to lessen the pain?

• Joshua1959
    No not realy,because of the other problems i have,so i just have keep taking my medication.
  • lindaket
    lindaket Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited July 2021
    Hi, I have found <moderator removed link to advertisement> article, they have some interesting points. I hope your back pain gets better.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2021
    Hi @lindaket

Just to make you aware, I've removed the link to the website you included as it contained an advert for a paid-for service.  Advertising isn't allowed on the community (please see our house rules) so please bear this in mind when constructing future posts.  Thank you  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Hakanx
    Hakanx Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Topkitten said:
    Sorry if this sounds like a moan but the concept of always associating back pain with spinal issues and vice versa is far too common and often absolutely wrong. I expected more of people here than I do from the community in general.

I have massive spinal issues due to a degenerative condition and about one third of my spine is damaged and yet I get no back pain at all except from sitting badly for long periods, the same as anyone else would get.

Back pain is most commonly caused by muscle issues and GP's have to eliminate that option first. Unfortunately, if you suffer another condition not muscle related, it takes much longer to isolate and diagnose. As has been said, bad posture from our living conditions can easily cause such muscle related problems, hence the GP's attitude.

Regarding psychosomatic pain........ my feeling on this is that it occurs much more often than most people think because people have so much access to information and expect some things to hurt and so they do. Doctors, I think, often suggest this at some point to everyone suffering pain simply to judge results. Psychosomatic pain is easily possible to be gotten under control once the sufferer understands how it has come about. A lady I used to know could get about quite well and with little pain until I started spending time with her and her friends. Being more ill myself I spotted her almost copying my pain issues simply to get more sympathy. After I was no longer able to spend time with her and friends I heard she got better again, going back to how she was before we met.

Beyond all this everyone must remember that pain and suffering from it is always purely subjective and it is possible to assume that you cannot cope with anything worse until it does get worse and you still cope as before. My degenerative condition has been causing chronic pain for almost 15 years and I now cope better with pain levels way above what I thought would be the worst pain ever and yet still function somewhat. The body can get used to literally any level of pain so long as you don't give in to it and allow yourself time to adapt. I get worse every 8 weeks or so now and yet still walk a little eve though it feels someone has poured petrol onto my leg and set fire to it. Given time and stubbornness anything is possible.

Yes, I should be in a wheelchair full-time but the lack of support I get means I am still living in a totally inappropriate home and get no help from carers.

TK
    Hello. I have had back pain for a long time. Are tense muscles causing back pain? If so, how can I get rid of this pain? What are your recommendations?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2022
    Hello @Hakanx

It sounds really difficult that you have had back pain for a long time. We don't provide medical diagnoses or advice here so we cannot tell you what is causing your back pain.

Do you feel comfortable talking to your GP or medical team? They may be able to support you.

In the meantime, we are here to listen if you just need an ear  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness