Pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assessment

Snowflake56
Snowflake56 Community member Posts: 34 Pioneering
edited October 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Feeling really anxious at the moment,after receiving a disability assessment form from dwp,I recieved a letter about two months ago saying I was not going to be reviewed until next May,now brought forward with only 2 weeks to fill in. My illnesses have not changed I have cervical and lumbar disc disease,i live in chronic pain all over and my mobility is poor,but I've recently had to change to another surgery with a house move and the surgery is only taking telephone consultations,feel like I have no support,so not eating or sleeping well,I have a prescription of all my meds to include,my pain has increased with the stress of it all,I am terrified I am struggling as it is financially,i have mental health conditions, copd and asthma on top so just dreading it all and my aniexty is really bad.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

You didnt mention what benefit this is for is it PIP or work capability 

All you can do us fill the form in with as much detail as you can treat it like a new application dont just put no change 

Explain how your condition affects you and what help and support you need 

It's easy to say dont stress just do a bit at a time but send off in plenty of time as they take a while to be scanned on the system as received 
  • Snowflake56
    Hi  sorry I forgot to add PIP, thankyou for that information,my condition is not curable sadly with my disc disease I am nearly 60 and its my first assessment since my original claim was awarded. I was employed full time until this disease started 9 years ago,its awful that you are at the mercy of others now,I wish I could just go back to work life was simpler and I didnt have to rely on anyone for financial help.
  • janer1967
    I agree I lost my leg 3 years ago and had to give up a successful career I had worked hard for as well as my independence  and dont like relying on benefits for my finances 

Let us know how you get on 
  • Snowflake56
    Thats so very sad to hear and I truly hope you are doing ok at present.Yes its sad when we have worked hard and now have to rely on others,I will let you know how I get on,many thanks for replying and will let you know how I get on .
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Snowflake56! It seems like you've got a lot going on at the moment. I'm going to move your post into the PIP category in case anyone has any more advice over there.

Are you currently receiving any mental health support, in particular any support for your anxiety? It's tricky at the moment as GP surgeries aren't able to function as they usually would due to coronavirus, but there is still support available :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Snowflake56
    Thankyou,still waiting since March for mental health support,doctors surgeries closed,doing telephone calls but after 2 weeks of waiting for the call,there is no one to turn to.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Did they indicate how long the waiting list was in your area @Snowflake56
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

When you say you received a letter saying you wouldn't be reviewed until next May, are you sure this is what it said and it didn't just say your award had been extended until May 2021? If this is what it said then you were due to recieve you review forms at anytime.

You can also ring DWP to ask for an extension to return them and they will extend the time for you, this will give you a little more time to fill out the forms with as much relevant information as possible.

Medical evidence isn't helpful unless it's states how your conditions affect you and most evidence doesn't state this. The best evidence anyone can send to support a claim like this is your anecdotal evidence. A couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you, where you were and exactly what happened.

Face to face assessments have been replaced with telephone assessments and most people are having them, paper based assessments are still very rare.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Snowflake56
    Many thanks for your help its much appreciated and I will take on board all that you have explained.
  • Snowflake56
    Tori Scope no they said nothing and I have been waiting a year for another MRI also but have heard nothing about that either.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @snowflake56 Oh heck! I'd be tempted to give them both a ring to check you are still on the waiting lists and haven't been lost in the system.  While on the phone you could also ask them how long they think appointments will be in coming through.  

Good luck with your PIP too  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Hi  sorry I forgot to add PIP, thankyou for that information,my condition is not curable sadly with my disc disease I am nearly 60 and its my first assessment since my original claim was awarded. I was employed full time until this disease started 9 years ago,its awful that you are at the mercy of others now,I wish I could just go back to work life was simpler and I didnt have to rely on anyone for financial help.
    Do not go to the assessment ask for a house visit. Will
  • janer1967
    @Parrot123 there are no home or f2f assessments currently they are all phone assessments 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    @Snowflake56
    im to hear all the stress your under . Hopefully your award has been extended for 6 months and not up to be reviewed gives you more time . 

I was also in a busy hard worker full time like many of us can relate and to then have to give up work well not be able to work and be under financial strain is very hard we understand . 

I hope you get in with your doctor soon and I hope things work out with your pip . We are all here for you . 
  • Toffee
    Toffee Community member Posts: 251 Pioneering
    Snowflake I totally understand I to am in the same boat have you tired beacon counseling they do cbt support not just for gambling in all areas.. And mind to there all doing zoom at the moment which is great help when in crisis warm hugs 
  • samfits99
    samfits99 Community member Posts: 155 Courageous
    @Snowflake56  that’s unlucky as I no someone that’s not getting the award review letter till June / July time. and there claim was ending in March 2021 but got told they should get it September/ October but they have been told it will be June / July next year now as it’s been extended. so I don’t no how that’s happened with you. 
  • poppy123456
    samfits99 said:
    @Snowflake56  that’s unlucky as I no someone that’s not getting the award review letter till June / July time. and there claim was ending in March 2021 but got told they should get it September/ October but they have been told it will be June / July next year now as it’s been extended. so I don’t no how that’s happened with you. 

Although some people are having their awards extended because of Covid, this doesn't mean the review form isn't going to arrive. It means it's been extended but you can still recieve your review form at anytime and this includes your "friend"
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Out of interest how long do you get to fill out a review form ? Is the assessment in a review the same as your first assessment . 
  • poppy123456
    cupcake88 said:
    Out of interest how long do you get to fill out a review form ? Is the assessment in a review the same as your first assessment . 

The form needs to be returned within 1 month but this can be extended by ringing DWP. Yes the assessments are always the same, although usually it's a face to face assessment in normal times.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I never had a face to face assessment, that was five years ago when I first got pip. If I get a review form and then an assessment on the phone it will be the first time. Is that what will happen? I’m not very good on the phone at all. I’m shortly to retire too.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.