Has anyone self-scored themselves and then gone on to get PIP awarded on those answers? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone self-scored themselves and then gone on to get PIP awarded on those answers?

Atlanta1010
Atlanta1010 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good evening all, I have just done the self test for P.I.P and i have answered the questions on how my disability effects me day to day,  i scored 22 on the daily living, and 14 on mobility. I've been refused pip before for emphysema twice, but now its really affecting me, i stand up and im out of breath, and so now i am on oxygen,  my question is has anyone self scored themselves and then gone on to get p.i.p awarded on those answers. Thank you

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Atlanta1010 :) Welcome to the community! Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the PIP category so that it'll be easier for our members to find your post.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

It's important to remember that PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

My opinion on the PIP self test is that it shouldn't be available at all because it can very often give a false impression of what you maybe entitled to. Even more so if you don't fully understand the PIP descriptors and what they means and very few people do.

I note that you've previously been refused PIP twice, is that correct?  If so may i ask if you requested the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) then Tribunal? If you didn't was there any reasons why?

To constantly reapply using the same evidence you previously used will likely see another refusal and you'll be in the same possition you were previously in and it just becomes a viscous circle. Requesting the MR then Tribunal is always the best route.

If you do decide to reapply then my advice is to fill out the form with as much relevant information about how your conditions affect you as possible. Tehn add a couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Including who was with you, where you were and exactly what happened.

Medical evidence is only good if it states exactly how your conditions affect you and most of it doesnt state this. It will only tell them the basics, like diagnosis and medication etc. The best evidence you can send is your anecdotal evidence because the only person that knows exactly how you're affected is yourself.

Hope this helps.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome on board I hope you find all the info helpful in making a decision about applying 
  • Atlanta1010
    Atlanta1010 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi poppy123456, thank you for your reply, to answer your questions on the first claim i did the MR and then i applied for a hearing at a tribunal, unfortunately i was really ill and couldn't make the tribunal. On the second claim, i was refused i applied for the MR and then I went to tribunal, on the daily living i got 6 points and on mobility they awarded me 8, but now 2 years down the line
    my circumstances have changed and i'm worse now, i can barely walk 20 metres without being breathless, i cant shower, bath or wash my hair as the exertion leaves me breathless. with covid and having to stay in doors has now left me too scared to go out of my house, and i am receiving treatment for this, i feel socially awkward so that doesnt help either. i have also just been put onto oxygen therapy as my blood oxygen is low.  Thank you in advance for any replies and personal experiences. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    If you already have an award in payment then you cna't reapply. You can put in a change of circumstances.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.