PIP telephone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP telephone assessment

Kassi7
Kassi7 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My husband had a pip assessment on Friday. He had surgery on his spine 15 years ago and eventually had to give up work 6 years ago. The assessment seemed to go ok although I felt he had to cut his answers short as he was being rushed. Also she asked about injections he got in his back and my hubby said no he couldn't remember that. It wasn't until the next day we remembered he did get injections around 12 years ago, he's had so many things we can't remember it all. We are really worried now because he said he couldn't remember. Should we phone dwp to explain? We don't know what to do for the best 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,351 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I think it's extremely difficult to predict anything at this point. If you live in the UK wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the recommendations in there.

Once the decision's been made if you're not happy then you'll have 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kassi7
    Hi Poppy12345. Thank you so much, we'll do that. I also find it difficult to understand how they can possibly make a judgement without physically seeing you. My husband did find it less stressful over the phone rather than the face to face he's had previously though.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,351 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem.

The time to tell them about how your conditions affect you is in the form that you filled in. There's never enough of time during any assessment to go into all the details.

I've never had a telephone assessment myself but the feedback from these since Covid has been very positive, a lot more people are being successfully awarded than before Covid, so that's a very good thing.

Good luck and hopefully you're not waiting too long for a decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kassi7
    Thanks so much Poppy12345
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @kassi17 and good luck with the outcome of your husband's PIP assessment.

We're actually collecting feedback about people's experience of telephone assessments if you'd like to share your thoughts about it?  You can find the link to our survey on this webpage.

Take care and I hope you have a nice day  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Kassi7 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kassi7 - welcome to the community from me too. I hope your husband's PIP claim is successful. :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.