preparation cutting board and electric vegetable cutter and other aids — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

preparation cutting board and electric vegetable cutter and other aids

1984cathy
1984cathy Community member Posts: 29 Connected
edited October 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
do any aids get more points on the PIP score,as i live on my own and struggle all the time,all the elements in the PIP affect myself,has anyone had a good score from preparing food from scratch.I have the items shown above please help

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

It's very unlikely that an electric vegetable cutter will be classed as an aid for preparing food. An aid for this would be a perching stool, that you can use for sitting while preparing/cooking food. Points can be scored whether you use one or not, if they determine that an aid is needed and for this is will be 2 points. Although it will depend on the reasons why an aid is needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @1984cathy, I hope your application is going okay. :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    I’m confused @poppy123456. Why do you think a cutter wouldn’t count as an aid? If it improves, provides or replaces the function then it scores. Provided it’s needed in consequence of a physical impairment which impairs the ability to cut then it would score every time. 

I was thinking that because it's used by people that don't have a disability then it wouldn't be classed as an aid. Thanks for the information, i'll remember that next time, if anyone asks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 1984cathy
    1984cathy Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    i had my telephone conultation yesterday was 2 hrs long.I was ask how and can i prepare a meal from scratch.I told them i have a chopping board.i found the board useless because when i tried to run the peeler over it it came out of the jaws,this was used for potatoes and carrots and I have arthritus in both hands,I found holding the peeler tiresome .I mentioned I had a perching stool alsol.The lady then went on my weekly/monthly shopping and i advised her i do a shop on line with Asda or Tesco at over £40 pounds a week .the main areas of my food bill are milk, bread, eggs,breakfast cereals,the £40 plus pounds does not go very far.I told her i try and watch my diet as i am type i diabetic and i tend to select the healthy option meals that are placed in the oven,I dont like using the top of the cooker as I am scarred of knocking the pan off .All my activities like these are done on a perching stool including washing the dishes.there is not much to wash after having a ready meal.We then moved onto mobility around the house and explained that i furniture and wall walk,was asked how far  my upstairs steps were from where i was seated in my lounge i said 5 to 7 short steps but holding onto things while i moved.I was asked also how far my kitchen was from where i was sitting i said about 15 short paces and again wall and furniture walking.I have a small dog a jack russell which was barking in the background i was asked if the dog was mine i said yes.I was asked   if i took the dog for walks i said no i let it out in the back yard.Theb asked who cleaned up the dog mess.I said i go down the steps 4 of them with a sweeping brush and a long handled shovel made of plastic i dont think i should have mentioned the sweeping brush etc but how do i keep the yard clean as i live on my own,

THERE I MORE TO FOLLOW WATCH THIS VSPACE

• poppy123456
    @Username_removed thanks for explaining that, much appreciated. It was actually along the lines of the bed i was thinking of as that's used daily by those who don't have a disability.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.