Pip telephone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip telephone assessment

Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
So, originally had an appointment for wednesday at 1.45. Phone finally rang at 2.15 to tell me that the person had taken ill, was gutted, had not slept, had chest pains and blood pressure spiking. Fortunately, they had another slot for today at 9.15...
She gave me her name and told me she was a nurse and most of the questions went very quickly as although I have medication for asthma, cholesterol,  high blood pressure it was purely on the grounds of mental health that I applied.
So, kicking myself for applying as I had no problems with anything physical and none with managing finances etc. We got on to my mental health...I explained I avoided going out unless absolutely necessary ie. For meds, appointments and any missing shopping items that hadn't t been delivered...I had never in my life been anywhere unfamiliar alone, I'd walk over hot coals to see my granddaughter but getting on a train to Pontifract was an impossibility...
She asked me how it made me feel, meeting other people and I told her how I felt my very existence was offensive , I had no business being here while other people suffered and died...there was a lot more she said I must tell the health professionals everything I had told her and I said I've never actually told them a lot of the things that I'd told her, just very general stuff about feeling depressed.
She seemed un impressed with the help I'd gotten after a suicide attempt and the help I was getting now.
She said she had everything she needed and would emphasise the mental health problems, because there's being down and then there's....
She asked me if I had any questions which I didnt...she then said "you'll get another assessment like this in twelve months, to see if I'm any better or worse and if I'd received the counselling " And I thought has she just told me that I'll be successful with my claim?
Needless to say, trying not to make too much of that comment and will request a copy of the report in a week.
She also told me to hold on and keep taking the meds and with the councelling, in a year or so, I could look back and feel things had got better...
Which I thought kind.
So glad it's over!

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

It would be impossible to speculate anything at this point. The HCP isn't supposed to tell you anything at all because they don't make the decision's, they only make recommendations.

All i can advise is that you wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. Once you receive this you'll be able to look at the PIP descriptors online and compare the recommendations in the report with them and be able to add up any recommended points.

Usually they go with the report, it's rare to go against it, although it can happen. Other than that all you can do is wait.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope it goes well for you @cress, best wishes.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    Thanks Poppy...feels like a weight lifted...of course if I'm not successful I will be back here asking for advice re an mr and saying how unfair it all is...lol
  • Cress
    Thank you @leeCal .
    Just getting it over with has brought a sense of calm...
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cress - & thank you for the update; I bet you are glad that it's all over, & I hope you feel a bit better now. As Poppy says, the assessor shouldn't make comments as to when you might get another assessment, they just write a report, etc., then it's up to the DWP Decision Maker. I hope it all goes well too. :)
  • Cress
    Many thanks @chiarieds yes, so glad it's over!
    Everyone here understands and has to go through it too, and so glad it was over the phone.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @cress glad it is all over for now and fingers crossed it is a successful claim sk you dont have to take it further 

Let us know what the outcome is 
  • Cress
    Thank you @janer1967
    I may wait for the decision letter...think I'd like to enjoy the relief of having it over with rather then ask for bad news...lol
    But yes, I will certainly update on the decision.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It must be a good feeling to know it's done at least @Cress. Are you up to anything nice tonight to unwind? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cress
    @Tori_Scope it is a very good feeling...celebrating with netflix, a cup of tea and a bag of minstrels.
    That's as wild as I get...lol
    Hope you are keeping well.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds lovely @Cress! Enjoy. 

I am very well thanks for asking :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cress Good luck with the outcome of your telephone assessment!  Scope are collecting people's feedback about the telephone assessments, if you'd like to share your thoughts on this survey.

You mentioned having counselling, are you on a waiting list or have you heard anything about an appointment?  The feelings you describe having sound really tough and I want to emphasise that our community is always here should you need to speak to someone.  <3  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cress
    Thanks @Cher_Scope I really appreciate being able to come here...I'm on a waiting list for counselling. 
    Completed the survey.?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.