Balderdash and other words millennials haven't heard - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Balderdash and other words millennials haven't heard

13»

Comments

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I still hear people, particularly in the North, say ginnel @Dragonslayer. I'd never heard the word before I moved up here though!

Welcome to the north. Gods own country. ?

• Dragonslayer
    Wireless..... Radio
    Music cassettes .. Or cassette player.
    Eight track music players.
    Things not known to many these days. 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I remember when I moved up north, my parents looking for directions about where our new home was when we were close by. My Dad was told to go up the bank, which to my parents was a financial institution, rather than a hill!
    I remember people saying 'Gordon Bennet,' as in 'that's not likely.' I'm unsure the phrase is still used today. I've just learnt this evening that this comes from stories about father & son; actually Gordon Bennett from the late 19th, & early 20th century, which surprised me. See: https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/gordon-bennett.html
    Not something I said, but thought I understood, & had thought it an expression 'my generation' used. :)

• Dragonslayer
    I still use many of the words I have seen on here. Which baffled my American wife for quite a while and sometimes still does.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I still use many of the words I have seen on here. Which baffled my American wife for quite a while and sometimes still does.
    I would be interested to know if she uses any American sayings which we don’t use over here?
  • Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang
    Going to hell in a hand cart.
    I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts.
    The only thing you have to do is die and pay taxes
    Penny rich and dollar poor.
    Break a bill 
    Mystery meat (spam) 

We have heard many others through films and TV. And it is amazing how many of our old sayings come from America.

One thing that baffles her is the one about. If a bird poops on you It means good luck.
    I have to agree with her on that one. ?
    She cannot understand why we use the term Gravy boat. For a jug.
    A simple toast rack also baffled her. She thought at first it was used for slices of butter. She had never seen one before. 
    And she could not understand a butter dish. Especially if it had a cover. We don't even use them anymore. Or at least only some of us and then only rarely But our grandparents did.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks that’s really interesting :) I like those sayings.

Why is a bird pooing on you good luck???

Considering the tax systems of America and Britain I find it rich that it’s the Americans that complain about paying taxes ha ha ha!!

I think a butter dish was from the days of real butter, not the pretend butter that goes in the fridge. Real butter stays out of the fridge, or it goes hard, and you need somewhere to keep it away from the flies and whatnot I guess.

I think I know another American saying...a dime a dozen...it’s like saying something is very common. I guess our equivalent is two a penny?

Thanks again for sharing all those :smiley:
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    It’s interesting to note that such an American phrase as ‘the fall’ meaning autumn is actually of English origin. Read it somewhere, don’t remember where exactly.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't hear of anyone being flabbergasted these days...

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't hear of anyone being flabbergasted these days...

I know right? You hardly hear of anybody being like that. Makes me flabbergasted to be honest :D
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dragonslayer
    66Mustang said:
    Thanks that’s really interesting :) I like those sayings.

Why is a bird pooing on you good luck???

Considering the tax systems of America and Britain I find it rich that it’s the Americans that complain about paying taxes ha ha ha!!

I think a butter dish was from the days of real butter, not the pretend butter that goes in the fridge. Real butter stays out of the fridge, or it goes hard, and you need somewhere to keep it away from the flies and whatnot I guess.

I think I know another American saying...a dime a dozen...it’s like saying something is very common. I guess our equivalent is two a penny?

Thanks again for sharing all those :smiley:

• Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang A bird pooing on you is certainly not good luck. Not in my book any way ?
    I think people say it to make the person getting pood on feel better. ?

• Ross_Alumni
    I'm not sure I would ever feel lucky if a bird did that to me :D 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    That’s a good point :D 

I wonder if there are any other bad things which are seen as supposedly good luck?
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    A lucky rabbits foot wasn't very lucky for the poor rabbit.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I took down a lucky horseshoe once and whilst doing so it fell on my head. My family thought it was most amusing.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    66Mustang said:
    That’s a good point :D 

I wonder if there are any other bad things which are seen as supposedly good luck?
    The phrase "break a leg" has never made sense to me. Does that count?

Brightness