Any other home educators? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any other home educators?

Options
Deresha
Deresha Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hi I home educate my 9 year old son. He has profound medical needs, is deaf and on the pathway to asd diagnosis.  Anyone else?
Widow/Mum to a child who is ventilator dependent via tracheostomy, he is deaf and autistic, and homeschooled.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hi @Deresha

How are you finding home educating?  Have you come across any particular challenges? 

Until other people come across your post I've found a few links to webpages that could offer useful support:

The National Autistic Society has an Education Rights Helpline that: 
     provide(s) general information about educational rights and entitlements, as well as advice on specific topics such as getting extra help in school, assessments, education plans, reviews or school transport.
    The government has resources around teaching during coronavirus for disabled children.

Mencap have information about educational rights and a free learning disability helpline 

From a personal perspective I'd say well done to you too.  I know the decision isn't an easy one but good for you for following your intuition about what is right for your son  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined 

You are a star, I did the home schooling during lockdown for my 14 year old and that was a challenge enough so hats off to you
  • Deresha
    Deresha Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Cher_Scope   @janer1967 hey thank you. 

Home education is certainly challenging, and we’re still finding what works for us, but I’ve no regrets. It is my intention to get him back into school for year 7 (so secondary) but he won’t be going anywhere near a classroom without a diagnosis and a plan. In the meantime I think he’s learning more at home than he ever has at school. Thank you for the links, I will check them out.

I do have a 15 year old at school in y11 (And have seen 4 other children through the system, they’re now adults). I’m not anti school, just anti box ticking and squishing irregular kids into those regular boxes.

Nationally, lockdown education was something else, In every good and bad way imaginable.
    Widow/Mum to a child who is ventilator dependent via tracheostomy, he is deaf and autistic, and homeschooled.
  • SallyMartin
    SallyMartin Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
    Options
    Well, if it helps, I can speak English, French, German, Spanish and Italian fluently.  Despite my own disability, multiple sclerosis, but I could help with learning them, I have taught adults and children before! Xxxx
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hello @Deresha
    Sorry not many of our members seem to have experience with home educating. Has your son always been home educated? I'd love to hear more about your experience with it. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Deresha, how are things going? I know it's coming up to half term. :)
    Scope

• SherryH
    SherryH Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Hi @Deresha

I'm new to the forum, however, we took our eldest out of school at the start of year 2, and our youngest only ever attended nursery - this was in 2015.

My eldest has autism which was diagnosed privately since being home educated as she masked in school (I'm thinking the longer she would have been in school the more the cracks would have begun to show).  Our youngest has anxiety and demand avoidance which we've been told is due to her high cognitive function.

We are currently going through applying for an EHCP for our eldest as she would now be in year 7 - she has expressed she would like to go to college and there are some college opportunities locally which start in year 10 so I'm trying to get prepared. 

Hope it's going well for you - you've probably heard from other parents that this year is not what home education is normally like.

Brightness