Trying to fundraise for a powered wheelchair would love any advice you have — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying to fundraise for a powered wheelchair would love any advice you have

Options
laura010
laura010 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Trying to fundraise for a powered wheelchair would love any advice you have 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @laura010 welcome to the community 

Have you thought of a go fund me page 

A bake sale goes well too but would be hard currently to do much I would imagine 

Hope others have some ideas have you looked on internet for fund raising ideas 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @laura010 - & welcome to the community. Just to add to the comments above, I found these links: https://www.themobilityaidscentre.co.uk/content/get-funding-new-wheelchair/   Hope some of this is helpful, & you hear more options from other members. :)

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @laura010 and welcome to the community. 

I have moved your discussion to our disability aids and equipment category in the hope that it will get further responses. Best of luck with your fundraising and I hope to see you sticking around on the community :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi @laura010 and a warm welcome to the community! Here is some information from Scope's how to get a wheelchair page:

Wheelchair voucher scheme

Personal wheelchair budgets are replacing the NHS wheelchair voucher scheme. But some local services may not offer wheelchair budgets yet.

The wheelchair service will give you a voucher instead. This has the same value as the chair they offer. You can use the voucher towards the cost of the chair you want.

You can then buy a chair privately using the voucher and other funding, such as:

• your own money
    • a grant
    • through crowdfunding

If you use a voucher, the wheelchair belongs to you. You will need to maintain and repair it. The NHS will not pay for this.

Grants to pay for a wheelchair

Getting a grant can help you get a wheelchair for free or pay towards the total cost. You’ll need to meet the grant provider’s rules about:

• what they fund
    • the size of grants
    • if you can apply
    • assessing what you need
    • how to buy the equipment

Some disability charities and trusts offer grants and funding for equipment. Search different charities supporting your condition or impairment to find out how they can help.

Do not apply for a grant from a charity or trust unless you've checked if it will affect your means-tested (income-based) benefits. Talk about your options with your occupational therapist, care manager or local disability information and advice organisation.

Finding and applying for grants

Grants checker tool

Crowdfunding

Crowdfunding may help you pay for a wheelchair. Keep any money you raise in a separate bank account.

A strong story helps make fundraising successful. Make sure you are comfortable with sharing your personal life with the public before starting fundraising.

Crowdfunding can affect your benefits

Money that you raise could be treated as income by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). This could affect means-tested (income-based) benefits.

Savings and means-tested benefits

Contact the Scope helpline

I hope this is helpful. please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    Options
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @AlexW_Scope :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness