The lack of disabled and people of difference in the media — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The lack of disabled and people of difference in the media

RacheleLeahSilvera
RacheleLeahSilvera Scope Member Posts: 77 Courageous
This is an issue that I myself share strong views about and would love to hear what others think about the matter.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    There's also a lack of older people and people of colour, it's just the way of the world I suppose.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    There's also perhaps the fact that there are not so many disabled actors, etc., rather than disabled people, or other minorities not being accurately represented in the media. I don't feel that there's a conscious effort to exclude such people, in fact, at least there are more disabled people in the media nowadays. Do they always portray what others with their disorder might have to give a better understanding?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    chiarieds said:
    There's also perhaps the fact that there are not so many disabled actors, etc., rather than disabled people, or other minorities not being accurately represented in the media. I don't feel that there's a conscious effort to exclude such people, in fact, at least there are more disabled people in the media nowadays. Do they always portray what others with their disorder might have to give a better understanding?
    That’s a really good question. I’ve noticed people in the media with disorders often appear to be suffering from the whatever the stereotype of that disorder is (for example an OCD sufferer will be obsessed with cleanliness) which would then go on to further strengthen the stereotype. Whether they are “playing up” to the stereotype for the media, I don’t know.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @RacheleLeahSilvera You might find this discussion 'Let's talk about the lack of disabled actors on television' thread interesting.  

I agree - often where disabled characters are present, the storyline tends to revolve around the tragedy of their impairment rather than a realistic depiction of them living their everyday-life as a disabled person.  Their bodily difference often becomes the plot-line which reinforces disabled people as different and harks back to the days of being spectacles and freak-shows.  

Progress is underway but much needs to be done in my opinion!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness