Need a wheelchair short term — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need a wheelchair short term

Welliboots93
Welliboots93 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
Tonight I have broken my left ankle!
As i have a weak left leg, knee and ankle, it Is not strong enough to compensate my left leg being out of use. Therefore, using my crutches is no option! I'm left unable to walk and was wondering if there is a charity available in Lancashire where I can have access to a free wheelchair, I can't afford to hire one or buy one myself!
Using the NHS isn't an option as the referral can take 2 to 4 weeks and I need someone ASAP!

Any help is appriciated, thank you! 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

You can sometimes get them cheap off Ebay or facebook selling sites 

Or maybe try british red cross 
  • janer1967
    Or try contacting your GP for advice 
  • Welliboots93
    Thank you! I'll have a ring tomorrow 
  • janer1967
    Let us know how you get on
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @Welliboots93. That must be very painful. Please do let us know how you get on with calling your GP today!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Welliboots93, how did you get on with your GP?

If you want to hire a wheelchair, the British Red Cross have a wheelchair hire scheme

How much it costs

Our wheelchairs cost £15 per week to hire.

The charge for accessories is £3 per week.

There is an initial minimum hire period of 1 week and you can extend your booking up to a maximum of 20 weeks.

We offer assistance and support to those who may not be able to meet the financial costs, to speak to us about this call 0300 456 1914.

Scope

• Welliboots93
    Update!
    Sorry its been a busy one organising things!

I have a 4 week sick note from my docs, so I'm able to go uni but not to work. 

In terms of a chair, I have one from a charity called homewise 

However, I'm really struggling to use it! I can't push myself as I'm not strong enough (I'm plus size) so Im not sure what the next alternative is! 
  • janer1967
    A power chair would suit but unlikely you would get one from charity 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Welliboots93, sorry to hear you haven't been able to get around independently. I imagine this is very frustrating. I have done some research in your area and this is what I have found:
    Skelmersdale-based Brighter Futures supports young disabled people by providing hands-on vocational training in recycling mobility equipment, for example wheel chairs, power chairs, and mobility scooters. Brighter Futures recycles all mobility equipment, from scooters, power-chairs, wheelchairs, crutches, walking sticks, and toilet frames. These are cleaned, checked and resold at an affordable price to those who cannot afford new. For further details, contact 01695 724361, or email service@bfworkshop.com Website: www.bfworkshop.com

Hyndburn Homewise Society Ltd, based in Accrington, is a nonprofit-making charitable organisation that accepts aids and adaptations, which are then recycled and sold at an affordable price. Contact 01254 232249, or email info@homewiseonline.co.uk
    Unfortunately it's extremely hard to get an electric wheelchair for free (or hired) due to the price of them. 

How have you been getting on? :)
    Scope

Brightness