Hi I'm Schanios, and I'm a little overwhelmed! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi I'm Schanios, and I'm a little overwhelmed!

Options
Schanios
Schanios Community member Posts: 9 Courageous
Hi everyone, 

I have been a secret admirer of this page for the last few months, and answering my own questions by reading up other people's discussions. Everyone seems to be so kind, it is really lovely.

I have come to terms this week that due to my illness, I am going to sell my car, and buy myself a wheelchair, and even writing that brings a little tear to my eye! I love going out for a drive!
In January, I was working as a locum emergency veterinary nurse, I drove 1450 miles and worked 226 hours that month, and I loved every single minute. In February I had a breakdown, due to struggling with what I now identify with as my illness, and got caught up in the mental health side of the NHS. Luckily through my own research I've realised my physical illness, and am pushing my doctors to help me. 

Since May I've been getting more in touch with my body as my health has slowly been declining. I'm really struggling with the transition into a wheelchair, but I am now unable to go out unaided, so I'm hoping it will give me some freedom back. The loss of my job, my social life and now my car is why I'm overwhelmed, it feels like a lot is going all at once, and so much to learn about what's available and what you have to do to cope! 

I know its only been a relatively short time that I've been unwell, but I thought I'd finally write, say hi to everyone, and properly join the community. x

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Schanios and I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through. Firstly, take a deep breath, you're not alone in feeling overwhelmed by these changes, and the transition to using mobility aids.

I became depressed when I received my first wheelchair, I know people dislike the word but I was wheelchair-bound because of the type of chair I had, it was too heavy for me to independently move myself, I always needed someone to push me. My second wheelchair is very lightweight and I can wheel myself, just that extra bit of independence can do the world of good.

Take things one at a time, we will help you along the way :) 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Options
    I have a lot going on at the moment too, I completely understand. I find it helpful to compartmentalise things so I do one small thing and one area of life at a time. I pace and organise certain times for the day/week for these different things. That's what helps me.

Also, as someone who couldn't leave their bed before having a wheelchair, it does feel really good being able to be more independent. It definitely boosts my mental health and my quality of life is better for it. I honestly think it's completely normal to go through a kind of grief period when we become ill like this, I definitely did. But I also know that you can get through it.

Good luck, and we'll always be here to support you any way we can.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hello @Schanios and welcome to our online community.

Thank you for taking the plunge and joining us  :)  It sounds like you have had a heck of a year and I hope we can support you going into the future.

These life changes are all significant so I'm not surprised you feel emotional and overwhelmed by it all.  I think we would all feel the same as you are getting used to a different way of living and going about your daily routine.  

Positively, I'm sure things will get easier.  It probably doesn't seem like it will now but time helps, as much as that's a cliche!

In the meantime, if ever you need someone to talk to or want company we are all here.  Please feel free to get involved in chats in our different groups and have fun in our coffee lounge.  We are looking forward to getting to know you better!  

Please give me a shout if you need any help.  Enjoy the rest of your Monday.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Schanios - & welcome to the community from me too. You certainly have gone through a lot this year, & there possibly couldn't have been a worse year for this all to happen in.
    Good for you in doing your own research (I also had to do this), & in pushing your Drs to help. It sounds like you are being very positive about things, & that will get you through. Just put some 'L' plates on your wheelchair, & hopefully you will gain your freedom once more!
    Anyway, it's great you have now joined the community properly, & I'm very pleased to 'meet' you. :)
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Schanios best wishes to you ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Schanios
    Schanios Community member Posts: 9 Courageous
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I knew you'd all be lovely! :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome I totally understand what you are going through as I was in the same position 3 years ago having become disabled due to amputation

Take a day at a time and you will discover new ways of doing things and aids that can help. Have you had a needs assessment done by OT they can recommend aids and adaptions required, you can self refer for this on the Gov website

I cant go out on my own mainly due to sight loss nut I now have a mobility scooter and a power chair which at least means I dont need to be pushed everywhere

If you have any questions just ask or if you just want a chat I am around most days
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Schanios, I'm really glad you decided to join us! How are you doing today? :)
    Scope

Brightness