Need some advice please — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need some advice please

Justproddingalong
Justproddingalong Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My wife was on esa old style and pip I'm claiming carers, we had to move house she has schizophrenia moving house made her really ill for months not to mention due to the move we had to change to universal credit, in all fairness to them they were good she's still not 100% like she takes our son to school I have to keep reminding her he has to be in at 9.00am she for some reason thinks its 10.00am, she is all over the place tbh. She now thinks she's being investigated by dwp for benefit fraud, she's not commuting fraud I know that but I'm finding it hard to believe she said there's always someone outside the house in the morning, there's people in cars, I just don't know what to believe and now she's starting to get worse again is there anyway I can have this confirmed if true? And is there anyway I can inform someone of how this will affect her she's paranoid anyway. Many thanks. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

It's unlikely going to be anyone from DWP. If you haven't done anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about, although i do understand that it's not always easy not to worry.

Unfortunately, there's no way of finding out if they are "watching you" All you can do is try to talk to your wife and tell her there's nothing to worry about. May i ask if you've ever seen anyone outside like this?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Justproddingalong
    Thank you for your reply. We live on a high street so there is always people outside. Her paranoia isn't helping. Many thanks.. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Justproddingalong

Sorry to hear about the struggles you and your wife are currently going through. It must be hard.

Is the paranoia only a recent thing since the move? Have you considered trying to get your wife some support for it?

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Justproddingalong - I just wanted to add my, 'Welcome to the community.' I'm sorry for the day to day struggles you must have, & hope you are able to reassure your wife how unlikely anyone from the DWP would be watching outside your home. Do please use this forum at any time to talk. :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Hello @Justproddingalong and welcome.  

To echo what others have said, I think it's very unlikely to be the DWP; even more-so given the current restrictions and people working from home where possible.

Are you receiving support from your local community mental health team?  I would mention it to a support worker if you haven't already as I think they would have dealt with similar beliefs before.  

I hope you are having a better day and please let us know if we can support you in any way.  It's hard being a carer and these times are particularly challenging so remember to look after yourself too.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Justproddingalong
    Thank you for your replies. It could be her paranoia I'm contacting mental health tomorrow yes always been paranoid. Uc don't even leave stuff for her to do in her journals, she is in receipt of UC and pip I don't understand the esa side of this but it's so much hard work because I have to do it for her she's confused anyway iv just left it at UC. Any advice welcomed and thank you for the replies. 
  • poppy123456
    Thank you for your replies. It could be her paranoia I'm contacting mental health tomorrow yes always been paranoid. Uc don't even leave stuff for her to do in her journals, she is in receipt of UC and pip I don't understand the esa side of this but it's so much hard work because I have to do it for her she's confused anyway iv just left it at UC. Any advice welcomed and thank you for the replies. 

If you are claiming UC then you will both be claiming as a couple, or you should be because it's a means tested benefit.

Does she still claim ESA as well as the UC? If she does then the ESA should be contributions based, which isn't part of UC and will be deducted £1 for £1 from any UC entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Justproddingalong
    Thank you poppy. No when we moved house the area we moved to was UC only we was on esa for her medical condition I don't have any. She was deemed unfit to work on the old style esa. When we changed to UC I was told she no longer was entitled to esa if new style esa is the same amount that we are on now but just comes at a different Time of the month and is deducted from UC its not worth my time she has to go for assessments she's confused anyway, I have to do all the paperwork and forms. I'm exhausted with my daily life with out taking this on too. 
  • poppy123456
    When you moved onto UC then her ESA would have ended if all of it was income related. UC has replaced all the old benefits such as Income related ESA/JSA and Income Support.

She won't be able to claim New style ESA now anyway because for this you need to have worked and paid the correct amount of NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years.

As she was previously claiming ESA then this award should have been honoured in UC so if she was in the Support Group for ESA then she should be receiving the LCWRA element in with your UC amount.
  • Justproddingalong
    I believe this is the case. We just prod along. Thank you poppy for explaining. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.