Mental health & Enhanced Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health & Enhanced Mobility

Options
npower36912
npower36912 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
Hello I have been getting PIP from July 2017 enhanced living and standard disability... I had I’ll health and a mental health condition which is why I got pip in the first place ....I still have the mental health condition and have just had a telephone assessment a month or 2 ago I read somewhere that the rules have changed on people with mental health and mobility rates so I heard I may be eligible for the higher rate ..I was just wondering would that get in contact with me if I am or will I have to send them a letter as I heard I could get it backdated to the start of my pip claims 

thanks 

n

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Whether you'll be entitled to any backdated money from a previous decision will totally depend on how your conditions affected you at the time you were previously assessed. Not everyone will be owed any money. See link for more information.

The same applies to this review you're currently having, whether you're entitled to Enhanced mobility will totally depend on how your conditions affect you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @npower36912 -  There was a change to the law on PIP with 'Planning & following journeys' regarding 'overwhelming psychological distress.' This was for claims decided on/after 28th November 2016 & up to 28th June 2018. This concerns those that didn't get an award for the mobility component, or only got a standard award. The DWP stated they would review relevant claims where 'overwhelming psychological distress' occurred. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-changes/overwhelming-psychological-distress-and-journeys-changes-to-pip-law-from-28-november-2016
    The law also recently changed on the 'Engaging with other people face to face' descriptor/activity, but only where, if a change was made, this would result in an award, or an increase in an existing award of the daily living component. So a person would need to have 6 or 7 points already, or 10 or 11 before their claim would be looked at again. This also only relates to some people who got a decision on PIP between 6th April 2016 & 17th September 2020. Not everyone will get more points.
    Hope this helps.

• npower36912
    Options
    @poppy123456
    hey . 
    Thanks for your reply the link you sent me helped me . As I have just had a review over the phone if I am entitled to the enhanced mobility rate then I guess they will figure it out then ...I have agoraphobia and mental health and have to told that when I first applied for pip in 2017 and was awarded high rate living and standard mobility

thanks 
    n
  • npower36912
    Options
    @chiarieds

thank you for the information I appreciate it I will have to wait and see what the decision is from my review I had a while ago if they are looking at claims again then maybe they will check then 

thanks 

N
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The decision for the review will be for this claim and not for the decision made previously. They will look at that decision at a different time.

If you've already had your assessment for this review then you can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • npower36912
    Options
    @poppy123456

Hey 
    thanks yes I have had my assessment and just waiting for my decision I had the call in late June early July and they said they would send me a letter with decision...Ok so they basically won’t check if I’m allowed the enhance mobility with this review they will give me my decision then...look into my last one at a later time .

thanks 
    n
  • poppy123456
    Options
    For this review you'll be assessed for both parts of PIP and the changes take affect from when the decision's been made. They won't check your current claim for this review.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.