I'm self-employed and can't work from home. How can I rent a small shop from the council? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm self-employed and can't work from home. How can I rent a small shop from the council?

kmt2018
kmt2018 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi
I am man  with high depression and many illness  ,I need information about rent small shop from council  because I  am self employed I can't  working  at home because is very small  me and my wife and two daughters  of us sleep in a room I don't have space  I would like to take care to forget my illnesses and I can sleep 
Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kmt2018

You're not alone in struggling with having to work from home. What do you do for work? Would you need to rent a full shop space, or are you looking more for an office space? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I am not sure the council rent out small shops but you should contact them to find out or you may find some info on their website 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kmt2018 -  you would look for those who do commercial property lettings, many of whom also do house sales, e.g. Zoopla, RightMove, & also your local estate agents, who may have a better local knowledge. Look in local papers, or online. There's also Gumtree.
    Most properties are privately owned, so a rental agreement would be made with such a landlord. Depending on what you want it for, location may matter.
    You might find a local business association, or local facebook group where you might see rentals advertised.
    The Association of Small Businesses might be worth joining to help your business. Please see: https://asb-uk.org/
    Please be aware of the financial implications; the cost of renting, plus electricity, water, etc; the probable need of an accountant. Also the implications if you are receiving a benefit, which I believe you may be. There's a lot to take onboard.  :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Our council do rent out shops but like most space they aren't cheap, @kmt2018 if you just need more space have you room for a good solid shed?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kmt2018
    edited October 2020
    Good Morning  sorry for to late to answers all message , I hope you are having a lovely day .
    Thank you

Good Morning  ,Sorry for to late to reply , I looking small shop or office  because My job is online and face to face , to selling online accessory Mobile  I want to get out of the circle stay at home I would like to take care more to forget my illnesses because I can not sleep and improve my job and I am looking for someone to make me a website to sell 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    It can definitely be difficult to work from home at times @kmt2018. Do you need a shop or office space to store any equipment? As the others have said, renting an office space or shop can be expensive. That being said, it's not impossible! Do you know what your budget might be? 

Do you have the skills to make your own website to sell your products? You can use websites such as GoDaddy (and others) to build your own website relatively easily. If not, paying someone else to do it for you is also an option. I know that students will sometimes make websites for people in their spare time to build up their portfolio, so it might be worth searching for people in your local area if you want to go down that route. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • kmt2018
    Hi
    Thank you for your reply  ,
    Regards 

Brightness