Hi, my name is Lindsey54! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Lindsey54!

Lindsey54
Lindsey54 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 11 Connected

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lindsey54

How are you? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Lindsey54 :) 

What's brought you here today? Would you like to tell us a little bit about yourself? 

Let us know if you need any support finding your way around.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lindsey54 - & welcome to this friendly & supportive community. We've seen your smiley face :) now we're looking forward to hearing from you. :)
  • wheelskeeprolling
    wheelskeeprolling Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Lyndsey
    Your introduction to disability exactly mirrors my own. I am 54 and until 18 months ago could walk, dance, drive etc etc. I went to bed being abl to work but the next morning fell over when trying to get out of bed, haven’t been able to walk since and won’t be able to work again. Initially nobody knew if it was a temporary issue, but 4 weeks latter I was given the bombshell. Every aspect of my life changed and the previously bossy capable independent woman turned into an introverted capable of nothing, totally dependant woman. I cried on a daily basis, felt totally sorry for myself, and was jealous of everyone I saw walking, running, in fact anyone who wasn’t poor old me. So far I would say I haven’t totally recovered from the shock but I now don’t spend every minute of the day stressing about my useless legs. I have made lots of mistakes choosing equipment for disabled people, but I’m slowly getting better at deciding what I need to make life easier. Finding happiness is a work in progress and I would love to speak with others who truly understand what wheelchair life truly consists of. Xx
  • Marion69
    Marion69 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Hi @Lindsey54, I hope you are well. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing @juliepzarsons. It might be worth making your comment here into its own post, so that more of our members will be able to find it? I know that quite a few of our members are wheelchair users, so I'm sure they'll be able to relate to your experiences. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @juliepzarsons

I totally empathise with you I became a wheelchair user and unable to walk overnight after an amputation and it is very hard to deal with the adjustment

I was a career minded independant woman with a young child to care for and my life changed instantly, i lost my job, my husband, my home , my independance an d had no family support near by

However 3 years later I have new home , a wonderful son and a new adjusted life yes its different but you do adjust 

Good luck to you I am around most days if you want to just chat or anything
  • wheelskeeprolling
    wheelskeeprolling Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Pleased to hear that you have managed to find your positivity. I am getting there and am slowly adjusting my disability. It’s not all bad, I have had some wonderful support from those around me, I am slowly getting used to my new life and more recently have tried to actually enjoy life rather than just getting through each day. Keep up the good work, you are very inspiring and it sounds like you fully deserve happiness and fulfilment. Cx

Brightness