ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA

Brookside345
Brookside345 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Good evening just want some advice my wife receives pip but don’t know how if she is entitled to esa And which one .kind regards 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

PIP and ESA and 2 completely different benefits, with totally different criteria. The only ESA that's possible to claim now is New style ESA and for this she will need to have worked and paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2017 to April 2019. If she hasn't worked in those 2 years then she won't be able to claim it.

The old ESA (income Related) it's only possible to claim this if she's receiving a severe disability premium in with another benefit.

May i ask do you work at all? If not then what other benefits do you both claim exactly? It's very difficult to give any advice without more information.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Brookside345
    Hi we receive universal credit jointly I’m also disabled too both of us have a disability  
  • Brookside345
    And pip also both of us 
  • poppy123456
    Hi we receive universal credit jointly I’m also disabled too both of us have a disability  

Then claiming New style ESA will not make you any financially better off because it will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement.

It's no longer possible for either of you to claim the old Income Related ESA because you're now claiming UC and this has replaced all the old benefits. Have either of you ever sent in any sick notes to start the work capability assessment off for UC?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Brookside345
    Hi yes when we first went Unervisal credit but we don’t have to do the sick notes now .
  • poppy123456
    If at least 1 of you are receiving the LCWRA element in with your UC then you're claiming everything you can claim and a claim for New style ESA isn't really needed.
  • Brookside345
    hi thank you for your advice and help it was just a friend who mentioned the esa to me but know you have giving me the advice thank you .
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.