Does anyone have any wrist support Recommendations? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does anyone have any wrist support Recommendations?

SallyH
SallyH Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
Hi all!

I wondered if anyone has any commercially available wrist braces/supports they could recommend me?

Recently I’ve been getting pains in my wrist and elbow in my dominant arm. My doctor thinks it’s more than likely to be carpel tunnel and has given me some exercises to help treat it, while also recommending use of a wrist support. I have gotten hold of one, but the fabric around the base of the thumb is getting a tad uncomfortable to have on all day. While looking around I could only ever find the types made for sport or the ones Amazon recommends. However I’d like a second opinion from people who use them regularly instead of for weight lifting! 

I wondered if any of the lovely people in this community could point me towards a support I could wear while also being able to type and hold a pen? 

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Hi @SallyH - I have hypermobile joints & have used wrist supports in the past. I'd had some made for me by the orthotics department, but they were so rigid they bruised my forearm if I tried to wear them & do anything. So I bought various ones to try.
    The following shop, which I've bought from before, has a splint which looks like it might help you. Please see: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/orthopaedic-aids/neo-g-wrist-supports/neo-g-wrist-support
    There's also one which includes a thumb support, but I feel it would be difficult to write with this. There are also ones with removable metal splints in as well, which might be an option: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/orthopaedic-aids/neo-g-wrist-supports/neo-g-stabilised-wrist-brace-right   
    Do keep taking the splint off to keep up with the exercises! Hope this may help. :)
  • SallyH
    @chiarieds Thank you! They look perfect! The second looks like it’ll be great for during the night to stop me bending my wrist too much. 

I’ve been trying to make sure I do at least a few minutes of the exercises every hour if I’m painting or writing by hand, then resting every two hours. I’m not sure if that’s too little or too much though!

Thank you again! 
  • chiarieds
    edited October 2020
    Hi @SallyH - I'm a physio (tho haven't worked as such for a long time). As far as exercise goes, a little & often is best; a few minutes every hour is great, but at least several times a day, so long as this doesn't increase your pain.
    The support with the removable metal splint would be helpful for just that little more cost as you could take this out during the day if needed, so do hope this helps. You can also get this VAT free if you fill in the VAT Exemption link: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/shop-information/vat-exemption-for-the-disabled
  • SallyH
    @chiarieds That’s fantastic! Thank you so much! 

Since you’re a physio I wonder if you could answer a question for me?
    I wondered if sports like Yoga is actually good for people who have joint/muscular issues? I do yoga once a week and obviously the instructor and yoga based websites sing its praises, but I wondered what an actual Physio thinks about it!

Thank you so much again! I’m going to order them today! 
  • chiarieds
    Hi @SallyH - I think yoga is a great activity, but I would advise your instructor about any problems or limitations you have. Tai chi also sounds good; something I keep meaning to take up! Hope the wrist support is helpful. :)

Brightness