Disabled and housing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled and housing

Parrot123
Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
Hello all. I hope you are all well? I am looking for some advice regarding renting a council house. I live in North Lanarkshire. The council has told me because i have mobility problems i cannot apply for an up and down stairs house. But i can with South Lanarkshire .And East Renfrewshire. Am i being discriminated against the disabilty rights act 2010. I am a wee bit confused. Many Thanks Will xx

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

I wasnt allowed to bid on properties with stairs as I was in a wheelchair and I had a home assessment done by OT and their report said must be a bungalow or ground floor flat 

All councils work different can you do stairs? 

Maybe contact shelter or CAB or welfare rights 
  • Parrot123
    @janer1967 Hello Jane, I can do stairs but slowly. I have contacted Shelter they are going to contact the council on my behalf. Aye i can't bid for a house with stairs all the houses are for over 65s im 50. I lived in a up and down stairs until i was illegally evicted by me ex landlord. I am now in a four in the block upstairs. But its not my house it's my Nephew's and the council lost my homeless application form. So i was moving from my Nephews to friends to keep my points. But now with covid i am stuck. I feel like they are breaking the disability rights act 2010. Janer i need a constant carer so i need 2 rooms they offered me a 1 bedroom ground floor four in a block. They promised me a welfare rights officer. I am still waiting. Should i take the risk and keep moving every few days. Any advice much appreciated.
    Many Thanks

Will x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @Parrot123! I've moved your post into the housing category so that others who've been in a similar situation might be able to assist. I'm glad you've been in contact with Shelter, and that they're contacting the council on your behalf. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Parrot123
    @Tori_Scope thanks so much Tory i get confused useing this sorry if i put it in the wrong place tyvm Will x
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem @Parrot123. As I said, it only take a second to move :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope shelter can be of some help fingers crossed for you
  • Parrot123
    @jaber1967 my council did not even ask me to fill in a homeless form. They lost my 1st one. Can anyone please tell me why i can't apply for an up and down stairs house im in a upstaris 4 in a block. any advice much appreciated. I live in North Lanarkshire.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It would assume it's because of your mobility problems, as janer previously mentioned. If you're not homeless then this is the reason why your council didn't ask you to fill out a homeless form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cintique
    Cintique Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hello Jane Sorry to hear that you are having problems with housing! I appreciate you are only in your 50's but disabilty can strike at any age! The people who have advised that you should not be put into a house with stairs are doing it for your own good as your disability are not going to get any better only worse I have been disabled for over 40yrs and my needs have got far worse! I know the system takes time especially with the virus around my advice is get it clear in your mind what you want you obviously need a wheelchair accessable flat ground floor with help such as an extra care in case you need personal care ie help with shower or bath and eating I live in a wheelchair accessable flat with one cooked meal a day which sounds good but I am still waiting for my care package and I cannot get out my front door because they have not yet sorted out the electric door opener so we have to have some patience unfortunately just keep emailing or writing to the authorities but they are very slow
    get your family to chase it for you and Good Luck and Best Wishes

• Parrot123
    @Cintique awww thanks I am on it. Much appreciated. I hope you are well take care Will x

Brightness