What are you doing with your 'extra' hour? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are you doing with your 'extra' hour?

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
The clocks have changed, and we've gained an hour. What are you doing with your extra hour today? I'm a night owl, and forgot that the clocks were changing, so got pretty confused last night! I watched TV for an extra hour :D Time well spent.

Before some clever clogs comes along, I know we haven't really gained an hour, but I thought it could be fun!
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    We have taken the dog out and got back before 11am :) now I hope to go out for a drive but not sure if I will be able to bribe anyone to come with me!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I enjoyed the time by taking a cuppa coffee back to bed and just chilled .

Must admit not looking forward to the darker nights though
  • 66Mustang
    @janer1967 I agree as I like going for a drive during the evening but prefer it when it is still light.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’ve wasted mine by over sleeping ? interesting dreams though. Perhaps we should have an interesting dreams thread. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good idea @leeCal you should start it off
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm not looking forward to the darker nights either @janer1967 :( Chilling in bed with a coffee sounds lovely though! 

• Tori_Scope
    I hope you manage to get out for a drive @66Mustang! What breed of dog do you have? 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I spent most of the hour trying to get my clocks synchronized to the second...   ;)

Then woke up thinking I'd slept through the extra hour, only to realise the radio controlled clock by my bed didn't have enough signal to change itself overnight.  :#

I've still got the shock of the car clock being wrong to come tomorrow...  Every 6 months without fail I get in the car on a Monday to go shopping and have a brief moment of panic until I remember the clocks have changed...  :D  
  • leeCal
    I leave my car clock the same all year round, lazy I guess. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    I leave my car clock the same all year round, lazy I guess. ?
    Don't you arrive everywhere an hour late over the summer?  :o
  • leeCal
    edited October 2020
    No @OverlyAnxious, I just deduct an hour in my mind. Actually it sounds silly now I think about it, it would be far easier just to twiddle the dial! Lol.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    I hope you manage to get out for a drive @66Mustang! What breed of dog do you have? 
    Yes I went for a drive and picked up some sushi for later. :)

We have a border collie. He is my brother’s dog really but he has turned into more of a family pet now.
  • Tori_Scope
    Changing the clocks does bring about unnecessary stress, doesn't it @OverlyAnxious. This might be our last year of it though...

• Tori_Scope
    Ahh I love border collies :love:@66Mustang Enjoy your sushi! 

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I absolutely hate it when the clocks go back, always messes up my sleeping routine. This time round, pregnancy insomnia was at its worst so I was awake from 1:30am till about 6am... so not a happy bunny today! Much prefer the clocks going forward :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tori_Scope
    Oh no @Ami2301 :( I hope you get a better night of sleep tonight! 

• 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    I spent most of the hour trying to get my clocks synchronized to the second...   ;)
    I do similar with my watches. I have a lot of analogue watches and I have to wait until the second hand is exactly at 12 before I pull the crown out (which stops the seconds hand and releases the movement so I can set the hours and minutes). Then, the minute hand has to be exactly on the correct marker i.e. not half way between and then I wait until the digital clock I set my watches by ticks onto the exact minute before I push the crown back in to start the watch up again!

Sadly mechanical watches gain or lose a couple of seconds a day so this is all pointless really but it is nice to have the hands all lined up correctly even if the time is not bang on the second!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @Tori_Scope I hope so too, but I won't hold my breath
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • leeCal
    edited October 2020
    I like the old mechanical watches @66Mustang I have a Sekonda, not expensive but it ticks away nicely. As you say they gain or lose, it’s actually very tricky to adjust them internally, the slightest of movement can make a huge difference. I tried for ages years ago but I got it close to perfect and left it at that. My watch loses a couple of minutes a week but it probably needs a clean internally and perhaps a new main spring. However repairs are expensive so I’ll probably not bother. 

If you do want to drive yourself nuts by adjusting a watch yourself then id recommend an app called Hairspring, excellent.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    @leeCal very nice, I also have a Sekonda that belonged to a relative. It was purchased in the year of my birth so is as old as me! It is a special watch to me and holds sentimental value.

Yes mechanical watches are very fiddly and repairs are expensive, often more than a new watch. I have a lot of respect for watchmakers but the watches are a thing of beauty when you take them apart.

Brightness