Lamella Macula hole — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lamella Macula hole

Options
Hamsterchic
Hamsterchic Community member Posts: 6 Connected
edited October 2020 in Sensory impairments
I've recently been diagnosed with a Lamella Macula hole  (right eye) I think , It doesn't seem to effect me  at the moment and progression is usually slow. The Optician said I might benefit from taking Macula Shield supplement , anybody have any thoughts on that. Her findings have bee forwarded to Morefields Eye Hospital for a clinician to perhaps see me in the new year. Will the wait become an issue?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Hamsterchic :) I'm afraid I don't have any experience of MacuShield supplements, or lamellar macular holes. 

Did your optician say whether there were any risks of using the supplements?

The NHS website seems to say:

Relatively early treatment (within months) may give a better outcome in terms of improvement in vision.

Sometimes the hole may close and heal by itself, so your ophthalmologist may want to monitor it before recommending treatment.
    I suppose the new year isn't that far away though. Perhaps you could ring them up if you haven't heard anything for a while, to make sure that you're on the waiting list?

I've marked your post as 'unanswered', which will hopefully help our other members to find and answer your post.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I dont really have an answer but as someone who is partially sighted make sure you keep getting checked

Eye appointments always have huge delays so New Year really isnt that long, however if you notice a drastic change then contact your GP for a referral as most hospitals have an emergency eye clinic
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Hamsterchic, just wanted to check in to see how you were doing. I imagine it's a lot to take in.
    Scope

Brightness