Where would i likely get help with an floodlight?for pitch black back garden? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where would i likely get help with an floodlight?for pitch black back garden?

BendyHedge
BendyHedge Community member Posts: 15 Listener
Hi

My housing association won't supply an outside light at the back of my property (OAP Bungalow) i'm 52, just saying...!

Tenancy began on Dec 2019....its a row of 4 Bungalows, and i have to walk through   the back of my next door neighbours garden to get to mine....There was no gate at all....Anyone could get in my garden(and they have 3 times) so i had to spend £304 from my carers allowance (Full Pip) and £804 for 7 6ft panels due to no fence... Despite my conditions ,the H association have done nothing...

So to my Question!......theyre saying they wont supply a light for the back of my bungalow...Theres no lighting whatsoever.....back garden joins back garden of homes 150 feet from my bungalow...The only thing i can see are the windows of peoples homes that distance away.

Is there any hope of finding help with this?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @BendyHedge I am sorry to hear about your situation I am not too sure there would be any help  but maybe if it was thought to be a vital need your council may help

Have you had a needs assessment by an OT they can often make recommendations but  I am not certain they would see this as a need

You can get some pretty cheap lights but I dont know if a floodlight would be a nuisance to other neighbours
  • BendyHedge
    Nearly everyone down my road has floodlights...lol  I think i'd blend in...?

Also.,...the need is for safety issues ,as its pitch black and using a torch isnt ideal....

Ive called the council this morning, so i'll see what they say!
  • Seanchai
    Seanchai Community member Posts: 411 Pioneering
    edited October 2020
    @BendyHedge.....hi ...I think your OT would advise a light out the back , I have a very big back garden and I share the back path with my next door neighbour .
    The OT came out last year and said we really needed a new path as the one we had was falling to bits( crumbling in places . The council came out and fitted a new path at the side of the house but could no nothing about my back path as my neighbours have bought their houses,  they also put in new front steps and new steps to our door . He also wanted to out new patches in my garden but I told him not to bother as we are happy at getting the path at the front and side of the house renewed.  Our council put in back lights ....but I had already put in halogen lights on the side and back garden ( the side one is a PIR ) and a halogen light at the back works by remote control . If you decide to put a light in , I would not suggest LED as they tend to burn out quite quickly in the wet weather .
    good luck ?
    If you decide to get one fitted yourself ....Wilko are reasonable for halogen floodlights .
  • BendyHedge
    Seanchai said:
    @BendyHedge.....hi ...I think your OT would advise a light out the back , I have a very big back garden and I share the back path with my next door neighbour .
    The OT came out last year and said we really needed a new path as the one we had was falling to bits( crumbling in places . The council came out and fitted a new path at the side of the house but could no nothing about my back path as my neighbours have bought their houses,  they also put in new front steps and new steps to our door . He also wanted to out new patches in my garden but I told him not to bother as we are happy at getting the path at the front and side of the house renewed.  Our council put in back lights ....but I had already put in halogen lights on the side and back garden ( the side one is a PIR ) and a halogen light at the back works by remote control . If you decide to put a light in , I would not suggest LED as they tend to burn out quite quickly in the wet weather .
    good luck ?
    If you decide to get one fitted yourself ....Wilko are reasonable for halogen floodlights .
    Brilliant   many thanks for that..

I received a call from the council yesterday,with a number to call,monday.

OT saw me earlier this year for a chair and support for shower,and raised loo seat...

i'll update once i know if any help is forth coming.?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Fingers crossed for you @BendyHedge! Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• BendyHedge
    Thanks for the interest!
    I finally just ended up paying £11.99 on ebay for a cheap Chinese 3 pin plug light.....Its actually just right for what i need..At least i havent got to get an Electrician in..?? .

If it dies on me within a year, i'll just buy another....Just thought i'd ask others here ,if they'd had the same issues as me...Ive not had much help from my housing association though they know i live alone and have many co morbid conditions ....but hey ho!   Got this one issue sorted ?
  • BendyHedge
    Ps.....The council,were no help regrettably!

All the best?

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for letting us know how it went @BendyHedge. I hope it works. :)
    Scope

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    There are a lot of things that councils and HA used to do that they won't do anymore, could you not leave the light on in the kitchen? there are also a lot of outdoor battery operated lights that aren't expensive.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness