Update — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Update

24seven
24seven Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi Guys, this is my first post so hopefully I am doing it the correct way!
I applied for ESA last month (didnt really know this was a thing!) I had been getting JSA and I had a UC account set up, I had applied for PIP as my OCH assessor thought I might be classed as disabled, however I didnt get that and thats when I found out about the ESA.
So guys I know things are slow at the moment in regards to new claims and tests etc, but do you have any idea as to when I will start to get ESA payments through? I am assuming that I will get paid while the claim is being processed rather than have to wait months till its all sorted? if thats the case how long after applying should I expect to hear something ?
The other question I have is about my UC account, for some reason they have closed it ! they say its because I have applied for ESA but that seems odd as I now dont have contact with my job coach and I am not receiving any payments at all, so if anyone has ideas or info about this please let me have your thoughts

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community

There are not really any set timescales , I presume you are no longer fit to work and that is why you are claiming ESA rather than JSA, have you provided fit notes to DWP as this triggers the work capability assessment

i dont know the answer to your other questions but I am sure other members will respond 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

To be able to claim New style ESA you need to have paid the correct amount of NI contributions from working in tax years April 2017 to March 2019. However, you won't be financially better off by claiming the ESA and UC at the same time because the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. Also for the ESA then you'll need to send fit notes from your GP.

They wouldn't have closed your UC because you've claimed ESA. May i ask if you're working or do you live with a partner that works?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @24seven, hopefully the above information has been helpful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 24seven
    24seven Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Poppy123456
    I thought the same but when I contacted UC thats what they told me !
    I have been made redundant and my wife works part time
    thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Whether you're entitled to any UC will totally depend on both of your circumstances because it's a means tested benefit then you claim as a couple. UC definitely doesn't close when you claim NsESA.

Whether you're entitled to any ESA will depend on the NI contributions you paid between the dates above. If you've paid the correct amount and you're over 25 you'll receive £74.35 per week. It takes about 3-4 weeks usually to start receiving payments and they will write to you with a decision on your claim.

Regarding your PIP refusal, PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. Did you request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) for the PIP?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.