The power of a good story. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The power of a good story.

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
I used to read quite a lot and for a reason that at the moment escapes me I stopped.
Just recently I found my passion for reading again, but now I use my tablet to read and I have built a library on it.
It may not have the appeal of actually turning a page, although I set It to do so virtually, but the ease of use and the amount of books to buy and store is fabulous.
I like adventure and action which involves searching for historic relics and saving the world kind of books. Along the lines of the Da Vinci code. I also have some of the classics, most of them I get for free. 
Any readers out there? And what are you reading.?

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m reading ‘How to see yourself as you really are’ by the Dalai Lama . 
    It’s quite engrossing and complex so I read it slowly and then think about each chapter carefully. I’m not into fiction at all.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I've just read D C Alden invasion books, read book one, skipped book two as it only explains what happened in book one, and just finished book three, waiting now for book fours release, but I can an do read almost anything and usually get through a book most weeks.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    @leeCal Wow that sounds like some read. I hope you get some good advice from it.

I am into fiction and like to escape into a good thriller, adventure story.
    I do however read a lot of historical books based on past events. I have a full set on the American civil war. One on the wild west. The true facts. And another on pirates. Again the true facts. 
  • Dragonslayer
    @woodbine I am not familiar with D C Alden. He must be a good writer for you to get so involved.
    At the moment I am reading one by James Becker. The lost testament. I also like to read Scott Mariani. Both writers, write on the subject I mention in my first post.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Hi @Dragonslayer -  I also like Dan Brown & Scott Mariani. You might like to try Simon Toyne's Sancti trilogy. Must admit I haven't read them yet, but they sound in a similar vein. I also like art world mystery/crime writers.
    Also must admit, tho it might not be for everybody, that I prefer to hold an actual book. I have more than a slight bias, as we had a secondhand bookshop for nearly 25 years. Of course the positive was that I had access to so many books & authors over the years.
    I also read non-fiction, particularly about revolutions (don't know why), both the French & Russian Revolutions, & also the Spanish Civil War. Also philosophy, psychology, world religions, & many things medical (Oliver Sacks being an easy to read, & often humorous writer about this), etc. My son is into maritime history, &, since he has taken over part of my spare bedroom with many books since we closed our bookshop, at least I get to borrow them, & the classics he's kept, such as Alexandre Dumas. His Rudyard Kipling collection is safely esconsced in his home however. :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm now reading Harry Bowling he wrote a number of fiction stories about Londons east end just after the war, sadly he passed away in 1999 but left behind a dozen or so novels that are really well written and evoke a great picture of the place and time.

I would also recommend 2 novels by Tommy Rhattigan the first is "1963" and the sheer depth of poverty he grew up with in Manchester at that time, it also touches on his brush with Hindley and Brady ,at the start of the book I was crying with laughter by the end it was tears at how things turned out, his second book is "child no.7" about his time in a childrens home and how bloody awful that was, both books are told without a shred of self pity and through being connected to him on facebook i've learnt that he is now writing book number three which i'm looking forward to reading.

While I'm here theres a series of fiction books set in 2034 onwards by a writer called robin john morgan we have signed first editions of all the books as his mum is a personal friend, but they might be hard to get as i think they are out of print atm.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    @chiarieds. I downloaded a free sample of the first book of the Sancti series you mentioned and I am impressed.
    It looks like after I finish the few books I have now I will read them. Thanks for that.

@woodbine. I took a note of the books you recommended and I will look into whether they are still available when I get through some I am reading. Thanks for that.

There is nothing like holding a real book. I agree and I have quite a number, too many really for any space I have is now full. The entire works of Dickens among them. My wife loves painting and she has a quite a lot of books on the subject that also take a lot of room. This is probably one reason I switched to digital. A great deal of space is taken up with hardback books which I prefer when reading.  

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Chloe recommended The Holiday by T.M. Logan and The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell to me ages ago, both of which I'm yet to read! They're in the crime/thriller genre, so maybe you could give them a go @Dragonslayer
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Dragonslayer
    @Tori_Scope Thank you I will certainly take a look. Are you reading anything at the moment?
    I take it you are into the thriller genre?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm not at the moment @Dragonslayer. I've been trying to get back into reading having not really read for fun much during university. @66Mustang reminded me of The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series the other day, so I'm going to try and read those at some point too as I enjoyed the TV series.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I dont read much now due to vision issues I do have a kindle which I can see and read with a magnifier but it is a strain on the eye

In my younger days I did enjoy the Flowers in the attic series not everyones cup of tea.

Im also a silly romantic and like Danielle Steel and Barbara Taylor Bradford 
  • Dragonslayer
    Hi @janer1967 Why don't you try the audible books? I have been thinking of trying it myself.
    There seems to be some famous people reading them and do a good job. That would save your eyes, because they would read the book to you. You will of course have to have speakers on your kindle, or at least a socket for earphones. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Chloe recommended The Holiday by T.M. Logan and The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell to me ages ago, both of which I'm yet to read! They're in the crime/thriller genre, so maybe you could give them a go @Dragonslayer
    These are both amazing books @Dragonslayer
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    @Chloe_Scope
    I had a look at the book you mentioned. It looks interesting. I will add it to my list. Thanks ?

Brightness