Helping pass the time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Helping pass the time

JenCo
JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge
Hello everyone, I'm hoping some of you creative folks can help me out. A friend of mine is suffering terribly with what we suspect is long-term Covid-19. The obvious symptoms are finally gone (so relieved!) but recovery seems a long way off. 

She's very tired and it's getting her down. All there is for it is to wait and see if various treatments begin to ease up her aches and pains and help her eat again. 

We're all well aware that recovery is a waiting game but how do you like to pass the time in recovery? She can't have visitors but we chat online, she can't focus enough to read and she has no energy. Many of us have been in this situation but it's been like this for her since about April.

There are so many inspirational and fun and creative people on here. I'm hoping some of you can help me to boost her morale. This horrible disease can't last forever, better times are on the way. Any recommendations for how I can remind her of that (without sounding preachy or super annoying) would be so helpful.

Hope you're all well!
Thank you in advance,
Jenny
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JenCo so sorry to hear your friend is suffering as she is, sometimes all a person can do is wait and see, when I first became ill it took me many months to realise that my life wasn't over it was just entering a new phase once I'd worked that one out I suddenly felt a lot better about things even though I was still not well.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @JenCo Ahh bless her.  That must be tough to deal with.  It's good she has you as a super friend to support her!

I wonder if she would enjoy any of the crafts we have going on in our Kaleidoscope thread.  Or maybe an audio book or podcast would interest her and be a good distraction.  What kind of interests does she have? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JenCo - would she enjoy listening to music, watching dvds/documentaries depending on her interests, e.g. nature, gardening, history, etc., films. Perhaps audiobooks, crossword puzzles, word search, sudoku, etc.
    I enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles online, which come in all different sizes & topics. See: https://www.jigidi.com/ it's free to join, & I've used it for 4+ years. The good thing as well is you can leave a puzzle incomplete, & come back to it later.
    Free online games, e.g. https://zone.msn.com/en-us/home  I like Mahjong & Solitaire
    This last site has many different categories you can choose from, & for every answer that you get correct the equivalent of 5 grains of rice goes to help the World Food Programme. Please see: https://freerice.com/    &
    https://freerice.com/about     So not just good to do, but good to help others. I've generated 9,000 grains of rice so far, the equivalent of 90 bowls of rice. I particularly enjoy the English one on the meaning of words, but there's everything from Maths, languages & literature, to Geography.
    Hope possibly some of the above suggestions might help. :):smile:

• JenCo
    JenCo Community member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Wow! Thank you so much everyone. 

@woodbine thank you, it's lovely of you to share your insights. I will pass this on and let her know that things be ok.

@Cher_Scope I'll do more research on that thread for her and pass on a few ideas. Thank you for the link!

@chiarieds you gem! Thanks so much for the recommendations and the links.

Thank you all ☺️
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're most welcome @JenCo :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds Some great tips there I think you should start a post on this so other members can see if they dont read this. I am sure lots of them would welcome the good ideas
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,364 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds I agree with @janer1967, I especially like that rice website, that’s a really good idea. :)

Brightness