Changing Banks.How difficult is it? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changing Banks.How difficult is it?

CJ61
CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
Hello everybody. I hope you are all doing well and keeping on top of things in these horrible times.
After reading this morning that the HSBC are probably going to start charging a fee to use their current account I was alarmed. Ive been with them for over 30ys and have been somewhat dissatisfied with their lack of customer service for some time now but the idea of a charge for their services has tipped me over the edge. Obviously being on ESA and PIP I live within a strict budget and an additional outgoing would be unwelcome but being completely honest its the principle more than anything. I was wondering if anybody has changed banks and if so how difficult and stressful was it. Im so nervous of anything unsettling and different. Would it involve telephone calls to the DWP etc? Thank you to anybody who can help me.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    There's a recent service called the 'current account switch guarantee' that makes switching currents so easy.

I did mine last year after a decade with the same bank and was amazed how easy it was!  Did it all online, no phone calls at all, and they switch all of your direct debits and regular incomes (such as ESA and PIP).

When I did mine, some banks were giving out switching bonuses of £100, but I'm not sure if any still do this during the current situation.
  • CJ61
    Thank you OverlyAnxious.  Im just terrified that the DWP will just stop my payments and sight 'fraud concerns' as the reason. The stress of that would do me so much damage. Im trying to keep on top of my Fybromyalgia (in addition to other things) and big stress seems to aggravate it enormously. The switching bonus sounds very nice. I would love to know how many customers will leave HSBC because of this even at this early stage. I think it may just blow up in their face long term.
  • CJ61
    Thank you OverlyAnxious.  Im just terrified that the DWP will just stop my payments and sight 'fraud concerns' as the reason. The stress of that would do me so much damage. Im trying to keep on top of my Fybromyalgia (in addition to other things) and big stress seems to aggravate it enormously. The switching bonus sounds very nice. I would love to know how many customers will leave HSBC because of this even at this early stage. I think it may just blow up in their face long term.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I have never switched banks but my understanding it is quite easy and the bank you move to should do all the work for you like switching direct debits and payments etc if they dont do this then dont switch find one that does

It shouldnt have any effect on DWP, as long as they are given your new bank details, lots of people switch accounts for lots of reasons and this isnt fraud
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope the above information has helped @CJ61 :) 

It's certainly helped me because I've wondered the same in the past, switching banks has been on my list of considerations for a little while.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    It's really simple to do now, some banks (nat west and rbs e.g are offering £100 if you switch to them), just open an account with whichever bank you choose and they will do the rest, the DWP will write to you to check it's you who have switched banks etc but it shouldn't't interfere with any payments into or out of your account.
    Just one note of caution if one bank is going to start charging they will all follow suit, I can remember the days when we had to pay for every cheque we wrote and every standing order, having said that they paid decent interest rates even on current accounts which cancelled out most charges if you stayed in credit (yes I am that old !)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• CJ61
    Thank you everybody. Good point about them all following suit in starting to charge. Im determined but still a bit too scared to make the leap. Just have to wait and see what HSBC do. 
    Good to know the DWP  write to me and dont just stop my payments. 
    thanks again for advice.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.