SCOPE SHOP DONATIONS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SCOPE SHOP DONATIONS

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Of course! Are you enquiring about whether our shops are accepting donations? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    @Cher_Scope

Sorry just noticed half my post was missing so it didnt give you much to go on lol

I have bags and bags of clothes very good quality and some new that I would like to donate to Scope. But I am not able to get them there , do Scope do a pick up collection service at all and if so how do I arrange this

I know British Red Cross do this but I wanted to donate to scope
  • Cher_Alumni
    Ah that's super kind, thank you!  Leave it with me and I'll do some asking and let you know (fingers crossed)  :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @janer1967 We believe there isn't currently a collection service unfortunately but I'm happy to do some more digging to see if this is definitely the case at your local shop.  Could you let me know which is your nearest shop from this webpage?

• janer1967
    The nearest is the Doncaster one 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Maybe we can find a kind member on the forum who would be willing to take them

If I was local I’d drop them off but Cambridge to Doncaster is a bit far
  • janer1967
    That's nice of you if only you was nearer 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @janer1967 I come bearing bad news :(  Unfortunately it's been confirmed our shops don't offer a collection service so we would be unable to pick anything up.  Hopefully this is something we can change in the future but thank you for thinking about us!

• janer1967
    Thanks for your help 

I find it a bit surprising that a disability charity doesn't think of the disabled in this way ? 
  • Cher_Alumni
    No problem.

You make an important point and I'll feedback to the relevant people about making donating more accessible.  I'll keep you updated with any progress :)

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Not sure how far yours is but my nearest Scope shop is an hours drive away...that's about £20 just in diesel for a Transit van to come and collect, plus tax, insurance, maintenance etc.  Just not worth it for them unfortunately.

British Heart Foundation collect around here so you could see if there's one of those near you.
  • janer1967
    @OverlyAnxious I get your point in your case but my store is only 7 miles away and I am sure a collection service could be provided locally even if it's just a staff member doing collections within a certain distance 

I know other charities do ad you mentioned so it must be worthwhile 

I can use an alternative but I wanted to donate to scope 

I would go in taxi but by time my wheelchair and my son is with me there isnt much room to get all the bags 

I am just surprised that other charities do this but yet a disability charity does not cater for this 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I suppose you could just send the bags in the taxi, or one of those man and a van type services. Bit expensive though I should think @janer1967. Might be a good idea to phone them first to see if the shop would accept the bags? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    @leeCal not a bad idea but I will prob donate elsewhere to a charity like British heart foundation  who do collect 

Need to make some room been holding onto them a while while shops were closed and my local charity shop hasn't reopened 
  • 66Mustang
    Is the COVID response thing still going? The scheme whereby volunteers run errands for people who can’t get out? Maybe one of those could run the bags to the shop for you if they are still doing the scheme.
  • janer1967
    Maybe but I never had any offer of support through the lockdown my community isnt very supportive 

It's not really a priority would rather see people in need get help 

Was just a general enquiry but I will find a solution as I said it isnt a priority in current times I just wanted to donate to scope 
  • 66Mustang
    Last I checked you would be surprised. There were far more volunteers than jobs that needed doing. I actually wanted to volunteer but they didn’t want me as they were totally inundated with volunteers. That said it could be different by area in which case I am sorry to hear your area isn’t as supportive. If there is a shortage of help I agree people in most need should get the help first. :)

Brightness