Hi, my name is yeend! Am I eligible for a Blue Badge? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is yeend! Am I eligible for a Blue Badge?

yeend
yeend Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2020 in Transport and travel
Hi can you please advise if a blue badge should be made available to me , I have cerebral palsy with spastic diplegia. i am now 60 years old and finding life a little tough to get around .
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @yeend :) It's great to have you here. 

According to the gov.uk website, you're automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if: 
    • you receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)
    • you are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
    • you receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
    • you have received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1-8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
    • you receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress
    And may be eligible if: 
    • you cannot walk at all
    • you cannot walk without help from someone else or using mobility aids
    • you find walking very difficult due to pain, breathlessness or the time it takes
    • walking is dangerous to your health and safety
    • you have a severe disability in both arms and drive regularly, but cannot operate pay-and-display parking machines
    • you are constantly a significant risk to yourself or others near vehicles, in traffic or car parks
    • you struggle severely to plan or follow a journey
    • you find it difficult or impossible to control your actions and lack awareness of the impact you could have on others
    • you regularly have intense and overwhelming responses to situations causing temporary loss of behavioural control
    • you frequently become extremely anxious or fearful of public/open spaces
    Do any of these apply to you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

If you get the enhanced rate of PIP mobility then you will be entitled to a blue badge . If not then you may still be eligible but each council have different criteria, you will need to check out on your council webpage 

Hope this helps
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,329 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    Hi there 

If you get the enhanced rate of PIP mobility then you will be entitled to a blue badge . If not then you may still be eligible but each council have different criteria, you will need to check out on your council webpage 

Hope this helps

Hi janer, it's not just the Enhanced mobility PIP that automatically entitles someone to a BB. If you scored at least 8 points in the "moving around" part of mobility then this would qualify you. As would scoring 10 points in descriptor E for following and planning a journey.

HIgh rate mobility DLA also automatically qualifies you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness