Remembrance Sunday — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Remembrance Sunday

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,596 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2020 in Coffee lounge
Has anyone bought their poppy yet this year?

I just saw a lady selling them in Tesco today but sadly I had no cash so I am writing this thread partly to remind myself to get some money out.

Please use this thread to discuss remembrance day or to share any stories you may have :)

I like to buy at least a lapel poppy and a car poppy each year. I also recommend the online poppy shop which sells lots of useful products. I won’t post it here in case of advertisement rules but if you search for it, it is easy to find. All profits go to the charity. I have a wallet from their shop which is really good quality.

Maybe Poppy Day is also especially relevant to Scope as some members of the forces unfortunately become disabled while doing their job. 

P.S. I know some people don’t like Poppy Day and I’m sorry if this causes offence to anyone. I’m not in favour of war I just like to support our armed forces community.

Comments

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this @66Mustang I will be buying a poppy this year as I do every year. Due to the situation, this year I visited the online poppy shop and it looks really good. Thank you. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    "They gave their todays for our tomorrows" we should never ever forget, i'm hoping to see poppies on sale so i can buy mine and make a generous donation, failing that I will donate direct to the R.B.L
    People should remember that remembrance day isn't just about those who gave their lives in two world wars but also in other conflicts like the Falkland,N.Ireland, Korea,Suez,Iraq, the list is long and the numbers of dead and injured is long.
    Wear your poppy with pride xx
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Options
    @WestHam06 I’m glad you also like the online shop. I got this wallet from them a couple of years ago and I am very impressed with it. It is made from canvas and leather and has lasted better than many other more expensive wallets. It was only £20 though of course you can give more if you want. If they made a laptop bag out of the same materials I would love to purchase one.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @woodbine I totally agree and also it’s not just those who die or become disabled who make a sacrifice - I believe everyone who joins the forces makes a sacrifice.
  • WestHam06
    Options
    Absolutely agree with what you say @woodbine, every single man and woman who has served in our Armed Forces fought to protect our freedoms and we should never ever forget that. I know someone in the Army and I am immensely proud of them, we should wear our poppies with pride and look after those who gave and continue to give so much. Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang
                               I really like your wallet, thank you for sharing a picture of it. I am pleased you are impressed with it and agree a laptop bag made of the same material would be a great idea. I have visited the shop and purchased a pin badge so am now just waiting for it to arrive. Thank you so much for starting this thread, it is so important. Thank you.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @WestHam06 that’s great, I hope you enjoy wearing the pin badge and wear it proudly.

Something else that I thought about today is that I think a lot of the people who sell poppies in places like supermarkets are being brave. A lot of the people who man the stalls are elderly as they are veterans or family of veterans and so they are more endangered by COVID. So while they are appreciated every year I think this year they deserve more recognition. :)
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    A great deal of people think remembrance day should end. Or at least be played down!
    I remember my Mum saying Dad didn't really like it. Even though he went through the war. She said it brought back too many bad memories for him. I think we should remember what they did and the sacrifice they made.

Think about today with Covid.
    I'm sorry the young are suffering today and not getting what they want from life at the moment. But it's better than losing your life at 19 fighting in the war.

Those that forget the past
    Are destined to repeat it. 

• MarkIngleton
    MarkIngleton Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    Sainsbury's and Tesco selling poppies it not the front line we should remember those at home who lost loved ones in the bombings . Thank to the people like the land army .
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Interesting point about people wanting it to be toned down @Dragonslayer. I’ve heard of people (mostly young students) wanting it to be stopped because it’s not politically correct, or something, but never heard the people who it is supposed to celebrating wanting it to be toned down. That makes me want to read more from their side. I do however tend to agree with you that we need to celebrate the sacrifices people made.

I must say I have thought what you say about young people myself, even being a (now relatively!!) young person. I have wondered how many young people today simply wouldn’t cope if they were sent off to fight. And I am not preaching from a high horse as I know I would be one of those who couldn’t cope and so include myself in that statement. We are very lucky today. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    @MarkIngleton sorry I’m struggling to understand what you mean. I am not comparing people selling poppies in Sainsbury’s to people fighting on the front lines, if that is what you are suggesting, merely saying we should appreciate people getting out and raising money while Covid is going on.
  • Dragonslayer
    Options
    Many of the young today would not be able to cope with what happened in the 1930's.
    I can imagine them complaining more about how it would affect the kind of life they imagine and want for themselves, rather than thinking about and tackling the issue that is quite serious and stares us in the face.
    Today we face something that simply has to be dealt with. No talking, complaining, moaning, about it will solve it. It has to be dealt with. Sacrifices have to be made by all, young and old.
    We none of us wanted it, asked for it, needed it, or expected it. But. It has to be dealt with. The sooner the better. Then we can all get on with our lives. 

I do not want to be the 'old' complaining guy, seemingly against the young. That is far from the truth.
    (Old saying) After all I was young myself once.
    I may be just 'ranting' here and mean no offence to anyone. 
    But there comes a time in life when we have to stand up and be counted, face the enemy and defeat it. Whatever the enemy is.
    Who knows which generation in history has to do, or face that when it comes?

That's one good reason to remember those that in our history stood up to be counted.
    Buy a poppy, it doesn't matter where from. 

• 66Mustang
    Options
    I have nothing I can add to that other than to say I appreciate and agree with what you say. Thank you for the post.
  • Dragonslayer
    Options
    @66Mustang. Thank you for starting the thread and getting us all thinking about and sharing our thoughts. 

Stay safe.
    These days we all have to. 
    If not. Then at our peril. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My friend was delivering paper poppies and poppy seeds for charity. I hope to be able to plant the seeds soon. :)  
    Scope

• WestHam06
    Options
    Hi @Dragonslayer
                                  Completely agree with what you say, we must all do our bit, whatever that is. I was talking to my surgeon and said how bad I felt that I couldn't do my bit as I was told to shield. They looked me in the eye and thanked me for doing this as they said by my doing this, it enabled them and their colleagues to do their bit. This really struck a chord with me and made me realise we all have to make sacrifices, in a variety of ways, to get this country through this. I always think of those who gave and continue to give so much for our safety and freedoms. It would have been my greatest honour to do the same but that is not meant to be, however I will ensure that I do all I can to support and remember those who served in the Armed Forces. I will wear my poppy with immense pride. Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang
                                My poppy badge arrived and I am really pleased with it. I am wearing it with immense pride. Thank you. 
  • m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    Options
    They have taken away so many of our joyful celebrations this year, I'm not wanting to celebrate this sombre anniversay.
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @WestHam06 great :)

@m_burrell82 that’s entirely up to you and I respect your reasoning but I would put it to you that if it were not for those who made sacrifices then life would be far worse than it is right now and we need to respect those people
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @66Mustang Thank you for the reminder.  I need to look out for a Poppy seller when I'm next in a supermarket.  I haven't seen one yet but will endeavour to get one, even online if needs be!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness